Author Topic: Denon AVR RS232 protocol users - help!  (Read 27068 times)

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Denon AVR RS232 protocol users - help!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 02:27:27 am »
I have tonight heaved my core up to my home cinema so i could test plugging the USB-serial directly in, rather than into the MD. The detection script is run and finds the receiver, which is great news. I can see LMCE turn the device on and off while it is detecting it by looking at the front panel.

However, once I go through the steps to configure the device and the router reloads I get no further. Issuing commands from the web GUI or adjusting settings on the receiver itself does not cause anything at all to be logged to the device log.

I am not sure what else I can try. I have tried:

- MD vs Core for controlled by
- 2 physically different PCs
- On board serial vs USB-serial
- Tested using hyperterminal
- Change template so 8N1 now reads N81 (Andrew - this is correct, right?)

Regards,

Chris

nosilla99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 08:48:53 am »
Chris,

I am sorry to hear it s still not working for you.  I would try it connected directly to a normal serial port now that you have changed the template settings.  Although it is strange that you don't see any log messages when using the web admin panel.

NOS

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 01:58:42 pm »
I might do a clean install of the whole shebang. I was thinking of switching from 64 to 32 bit anyway. I'll let you know how I get on. Hopefully at the end I'll have some useful info for the Wiki so this doesn't happen to anyone else!

Regards

Chris

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 03:14:42 pm »
I might do a clean install of the whole shebang. I was thinking of switching from 64 to 32 bit anyway. I'll let you know how I get on. Hopefully at the end I'll have some useful info for the Wiki so this doesn't happen to anyone else!

Regards

Chris

Hmmm... that may well be the problem. I would strongly recommend using the 32bit build anyway... we never use the 64bit ever as it has always caused numerous stability problems. Its possible that your problems are to do with using the 64bit build... they may not be of course but I would the chances are high.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 01:20:43 am »
I'm seeing something really weird now where LMCE keeps setting my CM11A and Denon receiver to Disabled, so they are never started. It also keeps forgetting which port they should be attached to.

Sounds ominous! 32 bit it is then tomorrow!

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 08:19:38 pm »
I'm not 100% certain, but looking at the Ruby scripts, it looks like the first thing the code tries to do is detect whether or not the receiver is connected (by sending PWON and waiting for status).  If it doesn't think the receiver is connected, it disables it (and resets the port field in the device).  I've seen some issues with this in my setup.  I always thought it was due to the fact that I'm running my receiver through a GC100, but maybe there are other issues.