Author Topic: Can I install 32bit LMCE over my 64bit LMCE?  (Read 2314 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Can I install 32bit LMCE over my 64bit LMCE?
« on: January 10, 2009, 06:16:44 am »
I have the 64 bit version of LMCE, I have noticed some of the instability described by others. I have reinstalled it a few times now and have noted that when I put in the easy install dvd it gives me some options. One being to keep my settings and just reinstall the OS. I was wondering if I put in a 32bit installer cd if I could do the same so that I don't loose any of my content?
Core: Broken :(

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Can I install 32bit LMCE over my 64bit LMCE?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 05:58:34 am »
anyone?

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 02:08:22 pm »
I have done this with the 32 bit DVD. I did not keep my settings, but I did keep my home directory, i.e all my media files. However, if "settings" means database entries for the system, keeping them should be a simple thing. And then  the 32 bit DVD will just replace the OS. I am not sure how it will affect MD's as I always re-created them, but your media will stay in tact.

I can only guess what "settings" is, but if it is just db entries, they should just be re-imported into the new db.

A side note. If you use the USB-UIRT, you will need the x86 fix from the wiki if you do not use IR dongles, and wish to have it blast "stand-alone"

Best of luck to you.

Perhaps someone who is more versed on what "settings" is can chime in as to how they are saved/imported.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:40:25 pm »
I should be more specific when I say "Settings".
What I mean is: Lighting events, number of Rooms, Users, MD's,
Stuff like that.