Author Topic: Z-wave how do I keep my old light switches ?  (Read 9361 times)

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Z-wave how do I keep my old light switches ?
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:41:41 pm »
Hi,

I would like to use Z-wave for doorcontacts and maybe also movement sensors. And have been looking at the different z-wave products. Maybe I have overlooked something, but I did not find any switches that can be placed behind the old on/off switch so that the old switch and LinuxMCE can switch the lights.
Reason for keeping the old on/off switches are that the Merten & co don't look like those I have got and I would really not like to change all switches in my house ;)

Have you got any suggestions ? Or do I have to use PLCBUS or other things ?

And another question - what happens when the battery of a Z-wave product is empty ? Is the device shown as missing or does LinuxMCE tell me to replace batteries (that would be nice ;) ) ?

Background info.
I am building a LinuxMCE system in my new house and at the moment I am looking into the things I need.
I live in Denmark (Europe)

Thanks in advance :)
Viking

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Z-wave how do I keep my old light switches ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:30:22 pm »
Hi,

I would like to use Z-wave for doorcontacts and maybe also movement sensors. And have been looking at the different z-wave products. Maybe I have overlooked something, but I did not find any switches that can be placed behind the old on/off switch so that the old switch and LinuxMCE can switch the lights.
Reason for keeping the old on/off switches are that the Merten & co don't look like those I have got and I would really not like to change all switches in my house ;)

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Merten_506004_Connect_Radio_Transmitter_FM_4gang

but you may have to change the inserts from on/off to contact closure.

Have you got any suggestions ? Or do I have to use PLCBUS or other things ?

I would not recommend PLCBUS over Z-Wave.

And another question - what happens when the battery of a Z-wave product is empty ? Is the device shown as missing or does LinuxMCE tell me to replace batteries (that would be nice ;) ) ?
most devices support battery level reports. They end up in the log for now. A feature like that is planned.

br Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:30:46 pm »
and this would be better placed in the users forum.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:10:10 am »
Hallo Hari,

Sorry, thought i had posted i users ... can it be moved ?

Thanks :) but this one would then only be half of the switching part, one would also need a 507001 in the lamp in the ceiling - right ?
http://www.zwave4u.com/products/en/Lighting-and-Power/Merten-CONNECT-Switch-Insert-Receiver.html

But can this 506004 be used for more than one device ? Meaning can I connect 4 different devices and it will be able to send four different trigger signals (turn on four different lights) ... ? Or does all four connections trigger the same signal/light ?

If it can control four things it would be a really nice thing :D One could use it for a lot of things. Like using normal PIR's and then connect four PIRS to it. Or smoke alarms or a Doorbell and windows contacts and so on ... Any idea how long the batery will last in this one ?

Back to the battery low question. Really nice that you have something in planning :)
But what about now ? If the device runs out of battery it will probably dissapear and will that be noticed ?

Greetings
Viking

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:26:08 pm »
Hi Hari,

I know a lot of questions ;), but could you please answer this one :

Can this 506004 be used for more than one device ? Meaning can I connect 4 different devices and it will be able to send four different trigger signals (turn on four different lights) ... ? Or does all four connections trigger the same signal/light ?

Greetings
Viking

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 11:08:06 pm »
the wiki page clearly states 4gang and you can see the 4 inputs with the corresponding association groups in the configuration table. So yes, "four different lights" :-p

best regards,
Hari

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:11:53 am »
Hi Hari,

Thanks a lot, this is really good news  :D

So this can sort of be a cheaper replacement for the GC-100 in cases where one would like to have some switches for doors/windows, PIR's and so on. Really Great :D
Only bad thing is that one has to change the batteries once and a while.

Greetings
Viking

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:22 am »
Hi again,

so the Battery low status is put into the log. As a temporary solution I could grep this once a day or whatever and send myself a mail telling me where to replace the battery.

If I have found the right informations - I will have to turn on log levels 36 in  /etc/pluto.conf and then look in the log.

What file is it logging to (zwave devices are not delivered yet ;)).
What do I grep for ?

Greetings
Viking

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:16:05 pm »
Hi again,

now I had some more time looking into the original problem - keep my old switches togehter with z-wave. Unfortunately I am not that happy with what I have found. What I am looking for is something like the AW12 for X10.  Click here

A module that does not need a battery to work so that the switches will always work manually. I would just connect the old manual switch to the module and it then takes over switching the lights.

If I go for a merten 507001 in the lamp in the ceiling and a merten 506004 in the switch - it would stop working if the 506004 ran out of battery :(

507001 : http://www.zwave4u.com/products/en/Lighting-and-Power/Merten-CONNECT-Switch-Insert-Receiver.html
506004 : http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Merten_506004_Connect_Radio_Transmitter_FM_4gang

Greetings
Viking

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:27:54 pm »
yeah, merten lacks a mains powered remote switch. ACT has one but it feels very "wobbly", not comparable to the quality of merten.

I'm looking into EnOcean at the moment. I really like their battery-less RF remote switches.

br, Hari

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 02:20:44 am »
Eljo has these devices that you put behind the existing switches. However I have found out that they are really big and it gets tight.
 In a normal "hole" I don't recommend actually to put these behind since it also gets quite warm. So I am abit undecided whether these are good or not if you still want local control without battery(my concern as well). Seem like they count on that you buy the battery switch together with these..and then I would go for Merten..

Btw.. I have asked my friend about the prices, not a very big difference compared to zwave4u but if possible to collect locally you probarbly save the freight at least. Will get back to you on that..

-johan

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 09:30:31 am »
i have one of those, 4 inputs, flush mountable. But also a battery.

best regards,
Hari

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 01:33:36 am »
yeah, merten lacks a mains powered remote switch. ACT has one but it feels very "wobbly", not comparable to the quality of merten.
What ACT device is that ?

I'm looking into EnOcean at the moment. I really like their battery-less RF remote switches.
Was hoping for a solution with Z-wave ;) and as far as I understand they are not compatible.

I don't understand why merten has no device like the one I am looking for. Are they only interesed in selling the whole package - meaning all light switches in the whole house ?

Greetings
Viking

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 09:16:11 pm »
hehe, yes, i think you could abuse their load switches as remote switch as they support group associations :-)
And yes, you can mix EnOcean and Z-Wave with LinuxMCE. But be aware that the "bridging" only works when the core is up..

lazy guy! ZDW232 and ZDM232 :-)
look here: http://www.zwave4u.com/en/Control/Wall-Controls

@Viking: I will send battery level events soon (to be handled soon :-) ) and orbiter popups when the level drops too low..

best regards,
Hari

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 04:28:22 pm »
lazy guy! ZDW232 and ZDM232 :-)
Well maybe a bit lazy ;)  I would have overread what it says there and not found it. It could be a solution, but it is not 100% what I wanted.

I am looking for a module that can be put in the box behind the old on/off switch.
1. We then connect the old on/off switch to the module
2. The module is then connected to the wires that were previously on the on/off switch.
3. With the old on/off button we can tell it  (the module) to switch the light on/off.
4. With z-wave we can also switch the light on/off :)

Is there something like that out there ?

@Viking: I will send battery level events soon (to be handled soon :-) ) and orbiter popups when the level drops too low..
very Nice :)
Could it also alternatly be handled by mail ? I assume the rest of the family would not care about knowing that the battery is empty ;)
Or can they be sent to the First user that was setup on the core ?

Greetings
Viking
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:33:44 pm by Viking »