Author Topic: MY Linuxmce experience  (Read 3374 times)

shivanuja

• First post!
    • View Profile
MY Linuxmce experience
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:58:04 am »
Kudos to the guys who put up this distribution 7.10!

I wave been lamenting for long to setup a opensource mce, but didnt dare to try the mythtv, and other windows versions...this was about 2 years back. The collermaster casing I bought was collecting dust in my store room...until I saw the linuxmce last month.

My experiences with linuxmce was a set of mixed feelings.

1. Downloading the software from Singapore, my location, was a nightmare. After a week of broken downloads, the torrent version came to my help. Finally I managed to cut the DVD.

2. Installation was smooth and so easy to understand! Even though I had issues finding the required settings for PVR150, and the transceiver that came with it (Took me a few days to get this to work), I think it is acceptable for that lack of documentation, it is an opensource. (Probably seeing the video that said everything was plug-and-play hyped up my expectations!)

3. Video CDs did not work. (While when I play them inside the KDE, Caffeine player works well). Ripping of VCD also didnt work. 'Play all' function in pictures did not work (Im expecting a pictureshow. Atleast the button on screen should not be present if it does not work). These are certain features which I feel are simpler to implenment, and will be needed as mandatory.

This is my first week of playing into linuxmce..but once again congrats to the team. You guys can make windows disappear (atleast in homes)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: MY Linuxmce experience
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:09:54 am »
welcome to linuxMCE!  It's too bad you avoided mythtv because it's a great platform to learn on, especially since myth is rolled into LMCE.  Virtually everything I learn from mythtv has transferred over.  And I agree that the demo vid looks too easy.  But know this: if you have compatible hardware and set everything up as suggested in the wiki (i.e with two ethernet cards: 1 for internet, 1 for internal network), it really is that easy to install.  I've finally arrived at that place with my hardware after a year or two of swapping and testing. 

markab

• First post!
    • View Profile
    • http://hagmann.sg
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:05:15 pm »
Hi

I'm almost in the same position and try ( maybe more than a week ;-) ) to install also LinuxMCE. Video locks pretty easy, but life is hard.

--> Afkpuz: do you have some documentation from your working Environment? Think that would really help others.

thx Mike
Try to run LinuxMCE 7.10RC2 on 1 hybrid core
Details and Experiences here:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Markab

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:27:19 am »
Hi Folks,

a fairy and a dwarf have donated free bandwith to us today (download.linuxmce.org) so the download problems should disappear soon.

I'm almost in the same position and try ( maybe more than a week ;-) ) to install also LinuxMCE. Video locks pretty easy, but life is hard.
never trust marketing :-)

I'm sure we can fix your setup!

#  MythTV don't work, not clear for me howto setup my TV - Cards ( digital DVB-C and analog PVR-350 )

The PVR-350 should be autodetected, but I believe you have to setup the DVB-C card manually in myth-setup. VDR could be worth a try for DVB, too.

# Connection to Internet don't work, so I also can't update my Installation or install the DVD restricted Drivers

as your core is behind another gateway I'd suggest to disable the firewall for now. Go to the web admin and select "Advanced -> Network -> Network Setup" from the top menu. You can disable the firewall there. If you still have connectivity problems try to switch the NICs (also from the web admin)

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:31:30 am »
make sure you go into software and add everything applicable.  By default it will not play DVDs, not sure if this affects VCDs though.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:03:57 am »
While Disk Drive can detect VCDs, we currently do not pass the appropriate MRL to our Xine_Player. This can be remedied quite easy by any of you hackers in about 10 minutes.

-Thom

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 05:22:33 pm »
Yea, I do.  It's in the wiki.  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Afkpuz   Also, I have youtube videos about how I got to this setup.  Link is on that page