Author Topic: Did the USB-UIRT kill my system?  (Read 3826 times)

twooten

• View Profile
Did the USB-UIRT kill my system?
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:43:17 am »
Holy Shit this is beginning to be a royal pain! Sorry if I come across irritated but I'm really wore out from all of this. I've installed Linuxmce about 15 times over the last few weeks just trying to get a feel for things and hoping to have a stable system. I've ordered all the cool hardware and it's starting to come in. Tonight I got the USB-UIRT. I read the tutorial at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix and followed all the steps in order. Now after rebooting the machine I just get a text prompt to log in. Of course I can log in as user linuxmce but I have no graphics, just a plain text screen. I can start x with a startx command but Linuxmce will not come up. What the f***??????????
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 03:23:18 am by twooten »

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Did the USB-UIRT kill my system?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 03:51:09 am »
Did you do the instant fix or follow all the manual instructions?

twooten

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:44:40 am »
Hi freymann,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure anybody would because I was so pissy. I did the instant fix after verifying that 'uname -r' returned 2.6.22-14-generic. I did make a backup copy of the ftdi_sio_ko module as suggested and tried putting that back in hope the system would come up. No good.

One thing I really do not understand is how this thing can be called plug and play when all it seems to do is blink the red light until you download a fix and recompile the freakin' kernel. That sort of seems like a major step to get something working.

Anyway I'm not sure what to do now except for reinstall the entire system once again and hope that during the setup portion this thing will work. If you have any additional ideas I'd really appreciate hearing them.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 01:22:25 pm »
 ???
Hello. I am the writer of the wiki article. If you install LMCE 7.10 rc1 or rc2 (final release), just like you normally would, get through Sarah and what not. Then after you have the base system installed, simply download the file http://dataless.jeromenet.org/lmce-stuff/ftdi_sio.ko.tar
to anywhere on your system. Now after that has completed do ONLY the following as user root: (sudo su)

Code: [Select]
cp /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.ko.backup
(from the directory you downloaded the above file to)
tar xvf ftdi_sio.ko.tar
cp ftdi_sio.ko /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.ko
reboot

These are the only steps you need to take. There is no need to recompile anything.

When the system comes back up, you should be good to go. I wouldn't mess with building your own module. I have done this already.

A note: If you are installing onto an AMD64 machine, and the arch (identified in the webadmin on the media director page, on the right side of that page, will say AMD64 or i386) there is no need for the new driver. The AMD64 driver works out of the box. If you install the i386 quick fix driver, it will hose up your AMD64 installation, as it is loading an incompatible arch module.

So to sum up. If you are installing an i386 version of LMCE 7.10 rc1 or rc2, then use the above steps.
If you are installing an AMD64 version of LMCE 7.10 rc1 or rc2, you don't need to do anything.

I hope this helps you out. Welcome aboard.

Best Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

twooten

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 06:27:37 pm »
Hi Seth,

I am using an i386 system and the steps you listed are the ones I did. I followed the list EXACTLY as shown. After a reboot I'm taken to a text based login. I'm certainly not blaming you or your module but I have no idea what happened. I understand that things go wrong, especially when we're dealing with computers. And I have no idea how to fix it other than to do a fresh install. I'll do that tonight after work and report on any progress.

After getting very very pissed off, then getting very very drunk, then a little sleep, I'm ready to get back to it.  :)

Linuxmce is a rockin', bad ass system and I will be using it, I just wish for once in life things were easy. I suppose it would be easy if I had all the same components as shown in the video but alas I do not.

Thanks

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 03:55:39 am »
call me crazy, but I wasnt aware that there was a fix needed for the USB-UIRT, i did no such update and mine was plug and play. What does the fix do?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:00:06 am »
call me crazy, but I wasnt aware that there was a fix needed for the USB-UIRT, i did no such update and mine was plug and play. What does the fix do?

Just read a few posts above....

A note: If you are installing onto an AMD64 machine, and the arch (identified in the webadmin on the media director page, on the right side of that page, will say AMD64 or i386) there is no need for the new driver. The AMD64 driver works out of the box. If you install the i386 quick fix driver, it will hose up your AMD64 installation, as it is loading an incompatible arch module.

So to sum up. If you are installing an i386 version of LMCE 7.10 rc1 or rc2, then use the above steps.
If you are installing an AMD64 version of LMCE 7.10 rc1 or rc2, you don't need to do anything.

Pabla007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 08:44:22 am »
I Have 64AMD For some reason i can not install this anymore. Need Help Please.
This is how far i got. I am new to linux mce

What I should do after this step