Author Topic: DirecTV HR22 configuration  (Read 12296 times)

greenhornet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
DirecTV HR22 configuration
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:06:32 am »
All,
I got a new DirecTV HR22-100 today and I'm having a hell of a time adding it.  I want to control it with one of the IR blasters connected to my MCE USB receiver.  I've been trying to follow the instructions on this page [http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Control_a_TV_or_cable/satellite_box] but they aren't very linear.  For example, the 'controlled by' doesn't show up in the add device wizard and I don't have the controlling IR device listed in the 'controlled by' section if I create the device on my own and then select it in the tree.

ANY help is appreciated.

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DirecTV HR22 configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:42:04 pm »
Why not use the "USB" port on the back?  It is actually a RS-232C connector and the spec is well documented

greenhornet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:54:34 pm »
I did not know if the USB port was the same on this model as the spec does not mention it.  Also, there is a lot of talk in the forums about USB-RS232 connections that stopped working after DirecTV pushed some sort of update.

I guess I would like a little more definitive information before I go down the road of trying to use an adapter or make my own because that's a huge pain in the ass, and judging from other posts, may not even work.  Have a look at this and tell me if you still feel good about the odds of getting the USB port to work: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:14:06 am »
Sorry to break this to you, but currently the mce ir blasters ONLY work in mythTV in LIMITED fashion. What you need to do is grab yourself a USB Uirt which will perform all your blasting.

For the usb to work, there would need to be a template & driver created. With the usb_uirt, i have both of mine set up within 10 minutes.
so

1.get usb uirt
2. setup directv box templates in the webadmin
3. capture the box ir codes.
4. enjoy tv :)

Long Version

1. same as above
2. creating the template. If you need to do this still, follow the directions you referenced in your original post. If its done already, then
3.you just need to capture the codes. You need the usb_uirt for this. Most reliable method i know of. Depending on where you got stuck, you may need to add your box, or it may be sitting there unable to communicate. Once you plug in the usb_uirt, make sure the controlled by box on your reciever is set to the usb_uirt.
4. Try it out. Make sure you reload the router after you change the controlled by box.

hth
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

greenhornet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:15:27 pm »
Thanks, I'll look into the UIRT.  Do I need two if I want to re transmit (blast) IR signals to my satellite DVR which is two levels down on my rack or is there an add-in similar to the little IR transmitter in the Miscrosoft USB receiver?

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 05:54:15 pm »
 :)
My USB-UIRT is in the top of my cabinet, it blasts quite nicely to all three of my receivers. I don't even require a plug in emitter, although this is highly recommended and supported.

My receivers on three separate shelves, as is my AV receiver. The USB-UIRT is above the 1st Dish Network receiver on the top shelf. No issues.

I can highly recommend the USB-UIRT, I now have 3, in different rooms of the house, you will find it is the most useful addition to your LMCE deployment.

Best Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

greenhornet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:56:17 am »
I emailed the guy that makes the USB UIRT 5 days ago but unfortunately, he hasn't responded.  I may go ahead and order one and put it at the top of my rack also and hope for the best.  Any time money changes hands and the seller is not responsive I get a little nervous but since you guys highly recommend it, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'll post back my results.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:41:17 pm »
I emailed the guy that makes the USB UIRT 5 days ago but unfortunately, he hasn't responded.  I may go ahead and order one and put it at the top of my rack also and hope for the best.  Any time money changes hands and the seller is not responsive I get a little nervous but since you guys highly recommend it, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'll post back my results.

There should at least be one emitter jack 1/8" i believe on the rear of the usb uirt. This will allow you to connect a LOT of emitters to control any needed AV devices that the unit alone cannot blast properly. At one point I had the same usb uirt controlling the ir functions for three md's in three different rooms by simply creating a chain of emitters to each room. Currently, my usbuirt is connected to a RF if extender. Is basically a device that takes an ir input and sends it to a remote blasters. I needed to do this because of the position of my av rack.  Long story short, if you have problems reaching you av equipment, obtaining an ir blaster should solve the issue :)

Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

greenhornet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 03:56:01 pm »
I just received this email from the USB-UIRT guy.  He appears to be in contradiction to what is being said here.  Am I misunderstanding something?

Keith,

While this can be done (with appropriate software), it often does not work well in practice. The USB-UIRT's current software does not permit it to receive and transmit simultaneously.

Best Regards,

Jon

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 07:11:37 pm »
well gee, I must be hallucinating then. I guess my USB UIRT really _ISN'T_ handling my A/V gear. ;-)

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 08:24:35 pm »
Your gear is probably faking it in order not to hurt your feelings. ;)

I think what is meant though is that whenever it is transmitting it won't receive for a split second, but I doubt that anyone has ever even noticed.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

greenhornet

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 07:46:20 pm »
I must say it does make for some good noob confusion on my part when the guy that makes them tells me I can't do what everyone else here that has one says they are doing.  I ordered one.  Hopefully nothing has changed in the components.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:56:46 pm »
 ;)
Really want confusion? Wait until you get it, plug it into your newly built i386 LMCE core/system/MD, and learn all your codes, and then it doesn't work.

Please go here and prepare by using this wiki entry, which will enable your shiny new USB-UIRT to balst under its own power, i.e. without the plug in blaster dongles/eyes/buds.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix

Use the "Instant Fix!' part, copy the downloaded file to the correct location specified earlier in the page, and then reboot, before you try to use the USB-UIRT.

If you build a 710 amd64 system (I would use i386) the blasters on the usb-uirt will function, however if you install the i386 version (I would), you will need the updated kernel module and a reboot to get it to function "stand alone"

Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:00:49 pm by seth »
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 08:55:02 pm »
so then if the usb_uirt doesnt work...lmce is magic?

He more than likely doesnt want to comment on any usage outside of what he specifies on paper somewhere thats safe so he doesnt have to deal with a buncha scams (just guessing here) but I've had mine for quite a while works great. I think everyone here agrees. Get one, follow seths directions and enjoy. :)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 12:05:08 am »
Guys,

usb-uirt is working under i386 IF you have the fix OR IF you use the extenders.

rgds
Oliver