Author Topic: diskless image download  (Read 2177 times)

jmm1394

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
diskless image download
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:27:56 pm »
Hi, I'm new here but I have been reading and have been researching linuxmce and finally got the dvd image downloaded, but i guess as it was downloading the plutoMD-amd64.tar.bz2 image became corrupted. when i try to install...i get the input/output error and tried a different dvd drive and hdd. that did not help. it seems that the only thing wrong with the install is that this one file is corrupted.

i am posting to ask if there is any way to download just the plutoMD-amd64.tar.bz2 file.

what really confused me though, is that i tried the install in a virtual machine on my mac and the install was just fine.... i have just about pulled all my hair out trying to come up with a solution other than downloading the dvd iso again. i have tried the cd install and that failed as well.

any solutions or ideas would be awesome

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: diskless image download
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:36:34 am »
Yes, it is corrupted either on download or burning. Use the bit torrent to download as this will ensure it is not corrupted. You can use md5sum to double check if you want. Then burn the DVD using the slowest possible speed. This is the way you need to do it - don't use the CDs unless you have a good reason. The DVDs and CDs are the only valid methods. DVD is best as per above.

jmm1394

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:43:26 am »
ok, thanks, i am now at 1 gig on my download!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:09:01 pm »
All of this is explained in detail in the wiki under the download/installation instructions. If you want to save on download, perhaps read the instructions first ;)