Author Topic: [Resolved] Testing Alpha/Beta version: updates?  (Read 4870 times)

Nick

• View Profile
[Resolved] Testing Alpha/Beta version: updates?
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:28:34 pm »
Hi There,

I just finished to build my brand new HTPC equipment (I will create a page soon about it) and I would like to try/test LinuxMCE 0810, as Kubuntu 0710 version is not compatible with my hardware (espacially with my MB GA-E7AUM-DS2H - Geforce9400).

Kubuntu 810 is now up, up-to-date and running. My question is, if I start testing the actual alpha version, what I will hae to do to upgrade it to next alpa/beta one? Just by running the install scripts again?

Thanks,
Nick

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:14:19 am by Nick »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Testing Alpha/Beta version: updates?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:41:31 pm »
at the moment, upgrades within alpha 0810 are done via
Code: [Select]
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

but that might change

rgds
Oliver

Nick

• View Profile
Re: [Resolved] Testing Alpha/Beta version: updates?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:15:11 am »
Oki Doki!

Thanks,
Nick

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 09:34:03 pm »
Before going down this path, please be aware of the expectations. This is an "alpha" release and as such is not intended for users. Read this thread - http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6593.msg43563#msg43563

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 11:51:14 pm »
Hi Colinjones,

Don't worry, I won't complain if it won't work on the first shot  ;) I know that alpha version is a very early stage of the development, and I know I will see a lot of bugs/non-working stuff, especially with my recent hardware components.
Actually from my situation two solution: be patient and help for releasing the LinuxMCE 810 stable or use the easy way (Window$ system): I love the challenges!

Regards,
Nick

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 02:28:45 pm »
Hi Colinjones,

Don't worry, I won't complain if it won't work on the first shot  ;) I know that alpha version is a very early stage of the development, and I know I will see a lot of bugs/non-working stuff, especially with my recent hardware components.
Actually from my situation two solution: be patient and help for releasing the LinuxMCE 810 stable or use the easy way (Window$ system): I love the challenges!

Regards,
Nick

Thats great Nick. We need testers who understand what 'alpha testing' is about ;-)

The more we test the faster we will get into a 'beta'

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:42:35 am »
Nick,

I am using 7.10 with a new kernel (2.6.27.10) in order to reliably support the USB chip on my DVB-T tuner.  The system is now pretty stable and reliable (up to 1 week uptime between reboots, usually caused by me wanting to test something like getting my USB tuner to work fully with the latest V4L code). The steps to rebuild the kernel are in the WIKI.  As the 8.10 is an Alpha version, your system and its recordings/media should be considered "throwaway" when you get to Beta or a real release (my understanding of the what the devs have been saying to other testers).

I intend to set up a separate partition for an 8.10 Alpha or Beta and test separately from 7.10.  You might want to consider this?  Not trying to put you off testing but this may be a way to get familiar with LMCE on a known stable base, while at the same time being able to test the new 8.10 release when you feel like it.

Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 01:12:58 pm »
Hi Indulis,

Actually all my box is an entire testing system. As I have some new components (especially my motherboard), I can't use 7.10.
However I have two partition: one for testing LinuxMCE 8.10 and other one with Window$ for Media-portal.

Until now i was fighting with my sounds drivers in order to get sound over my HDMI output, but it's now working.
I'm actually reinstalling the alpha LinuxMCE version and will work on my Remote control.

Cheers,
Nick