Author Topic: Video Conferencing Video over IP  (Read 11169 times)

iipreca

• First post!
    • View Profile
Video Conferencing Video over IP
« on: December 29, 2008, 08:15:07 pm »
Having worked in higher education, many universities and campuses use video conferencing equipment such as Polycom units. I would think adding a video conferencing feature to Lmce would be a no brainer. Having the capability to video conference with other people in the house, across a city, or the world, by simply connecting to a hostname or IP address would be a great tool. Many cameras are available with pan/tilt/zoom functions that could be plugged into a video capture card in the core or possibly networked.
   I haven't done an extensive search of the forum if anyone else has suggested this, but did not see anything immediately related to it. I personally am not asking for the feature, but am strongly suggesting it.
   Kudos to a great project, keep up the good work.

iipreca

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Video Conferencing Video over IP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:26:45 pm »
Having worked in higher education, many universities and campuses use video conferencing equipment such as Polycom units. I would think adding a video conferencing feature to Lmce would be a no brainer. Having the capability to video conference with other people in the house, across a city, or the world, by simply connecting to a hostname or IP address would be a great tool. Many cameras are available with pan/tilt/zoom functions that could be plugged into a video capture card in the core or possibly networked.
   I haven't done an extensive search of the forum if anyone else has suggested this, but did not see anything immediately related to it. I personally am not asking for the feature, but am strongly suggesting it.
   Kudos to a great project, keep up the good work.

iipreca
Hi,

basically for VOIP, LMCE uses Asterisk 1.4.10. Everything for Asterisk pretty fairly applies also for LMCE. So Asterisk already supports also video telephony, but that also depends on your endpoints.

Integrating video telephony in Orbiter GUI - that's another story. What is interesting is that embedded Orbiter's phone is already based on Linphone library, which also in more recent versions supports video telephony as well...

What is needed is :
- proper support on LinPhone library level
- creation of custom screen for Orbiter, similar to existing phone screen, but with additional possibility of video box...

I also thing that this would be killer feature for LMCE, but it seems that currently there are no developers or other resources working on that...

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 04:34:51 pm »
Since I feel that seeing your own face in the telephone call window is just plain fucking silly.... We can accomplish adding the video window by having the LS_xxxx portion of SimplePhone, spawn a video window, which Orbiter then swallows into a Generic App Desktop designObj. We also implement Get Video Frame, to push a snapshot of the current frame to any other orbiter.

-Thom

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:41:52 pm »
make sure you have a mirror near by then ..... wouldn't want to have a milk mustache or anything... and how do you know if the other side see's your DR Dentons or not. ;D

My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:10:21 pm »
ROFLMAO

:D

-Thom

widescreen

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:50:34 pm »
this would be cool.  any chance of this being an added feature in the foreseeable future?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:52:27 pm »
It will be added, we just have way too many other things we need to work on.

Why don't some of you grab the code and hack on it? It would be nice to have some extra hands helping us out!

-Thom

widescreen

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:42:39 pm »
Thom trust me, if i knew how to i would in a minute.  I'm still learning and getting up to speed.  But i do appreciate you and the rest.  good work and thanks.

Boz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 06:43:04 am »
Hello,

Sorry to pester - but I was wondering whether there had been any progress on this feature ... I'm a little confused as the main page of the wiki says that the feature is already available ...?

"LinuxMCE is the only all-in-one open source solution that seamlessly combines:
[Snipped]
Phone system with video conferencing"

Thanks,

Boz.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:46:20 am by Boz »

Enigmus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 07:39:50 pm »
I just wanted to bump this. I now Video conferencing was on the list at some point for development but I haven't discovered if it has been complete.  Does anyone know?

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 09:17:15 am »
Hi,

I guess that Asterisk trully supports video communication between two video VOIP endpoints. The feature that is probably meant by majority of us it ability to use Embedded Orbiter as video phone- that one is missing.

But since embedded Orbiter already uses LinPhone library for SIP voice only endpoint and LinPhone also supports Video communication there seems to be solvable by: extending GUI portion on Orbiter and enhancing LinPhone library use under LMCE.

HTH,
regards,
Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:31:32 am »
Nobody has worked on this, but it is more than possible. Does somebody want to take the lead on this?

-Thom