Author Topic: 8.10  (Read 3684 times)

compaqpresario

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« on: January 06, 2009, 04:12:15 am »
Just from reading many posts, I know I'm looking at getting my head handed to me by certain individuals.  Solely for hardware purchasing purposes, i'm asking for a guestimation as to when 8.10 will be in beta/final release.  Now please, like i said, i'm only asking for a guestimation because i am looking at purchasing hardware that works with kubuntu 8.10 and not 7.10 and the timing of the beta release may sway my decision.   In addition, there a few fixes in the upcoming releases that i would just wait for, before i go trying to fix them and screw my core up. Thanks guys. ;D

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: 8.10
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 04:41:17 pm »
I would just be patient and wait until I had the stable release before i started trying to assemble hardware around it. I understand your desire to get stuff mapped out, but it seems like there is a higher chance of getting something wrong before its been released. That being said, are the hardware specs on 0810 that different? Or your just hoping to add the latest and greatest hardware?

Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 05:06:38 pm »
I would guess Feb 5th, 09... but that is just because its my birthday. I have no real knowledge of when it will release, but then again you were just asking for a guesstimate. :o

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 05:37:48 pm »
Yeah, just assemble a rig that works on 7.10 and in theory, it should work in 8.10.  Check the wiki for compatible hardware.  Also, the user section is very useful as I have all my hardware documented, so you could just clone my system if you really want a working system.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:04:57 pm »
I understand the OPs desire to buy hardware for 8.10.  I BELIEVE there will be better support for some things like the Intel Atom boards that right now require a bit of manual intervention.  As for a date, I don't think anyone can give you a reasonable answer because nobody knows.  Community driven work like this is a "when it's done, it's done" thing, unlike commercial products that have publicly advertised release dates with financial impact when they are delayed.  Granted, opensource products often have estimated release dates and people work to try to meet them.  In the end, I'd rather have something that is reasonably complete and tested instead of something that was rushed out the door to make the bean counters happy. 

What I would do if you really want to get started now is to check out the hardware you want to use with 8.10 then check to see if you can make it work with 7.10.  If you can, go ahead and get it and start using it now.  If not, hold off for a while or go with something different.  Probably not very helpful, but it's the best answer I can give based on what I've read here and the bit of lurking I've done in the dev forum.  Speaking of which, it may be worth while to read what's in the dev forum.  Just try to keep the user type questions here so the devs can stay focused on what they do best.

Or we may be surprised and a dev may post here that they have a rough idea on a timeline they are shooting for?