Author Topic: New Installation  (Read 3521 times)

adam1305

• View Profile
New Installation
« on: December 22, 2008, 04:09:42 pm »
Hi All,

I have been playing with MythBuntu for a while now and decided that it was time to give LinuxMCE a whirl.  Visited a computer fair yesterday and bought some new hardware to use as a dedicated Core:

Motherboard:   Asus M2N32-SLI
Graphics:        Asus EN8400GS  (Basically NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS)

I have tried both the CD and DVD installs and get the same result, a black screen with monitor stating no signal immediately after telling it to install.  So I then tried turning off quiet and splash on the KUbuntu CD, it gets further but still no Joy.  I would appreciate any advice on how to get this working, LinuxMCE looks amazing (Well done for all the hard work).  To confirm that the Hardware isn't faulty I have installed MythBuntu 8.10 without any issues.  I am aware of the normal Newbie problem with not selecting the correct output/res and I am sure it isn't this.

Many thanks,

Adam

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: New Installation
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 04:11:48 pm »
how far into the install does the screen go black? Whats the last thing you see before it goes black? What type of connection are you using to your monitor? Do you hear a series of beeps?

adam1305

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 04:14:57 pm »
Without removing quiet and splash screen goes black immedietly.  Doesn't get anywhere near the bleeps (would it do this on KUbuntu CD ?).

Screen is plugged in on VGA port on graphics card,

Thanks for rapid reply,

Adam

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 05:11:10 pm »
Graphics:        Asus EN8400GS  (Basically NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS)

My first core had a nVidia 8400 and although I didn't suffer from the black screen, the machine would freeze all the time.

I've since replaced the core with a completely new core and my second attempt went perfect, this time with a nVidia 7200 or 7300.

Since you're connected through the VGA out that eliminates us thinking it has switched to another output after booting.

I know it's a PITA to have to keep trying various parts, but I would try an older nVidia video card.

adam1305

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 06:15:43 pm »
I have finally managed to get it to work, not quite sure how :)

Basically I have connected the monitor via DVI, rather than VGA (although AV Wizard thought it was connected via VGA?).  I did briefly manage to get the AV wizard to show with the vga cable but only after starting in recovery mode and then running init 3.

Thanks for advice so far, I will start trying to configure the system.  My next challenge will be getting my Jetway Mini-ITX diskless client going, I had real fun with this in MythBuntu :)

Regards,

Adam