Author Topic: Controlling Direct TV STB  (Read 14488 times)

jfish75

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling Direct TV STB
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 09:52:22 pm »
As it turns out I was never able to get it to work.  Has to do with the advent of 7.10.  The linkages between the orbiter remotes and the GC100 were broken. 
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-discrete/thread.cgi?1109,3

So I take it that the break with the GC100 also includes when using a gyration mouse to control devices?

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 05:36:11 pm »
OK I gave up on the gc100 and I am now using it to control the garage doors..but that is another story.  My question is that now I have a template made for the DirectTV receiver and all of the codes learned and functioning in the template.  My problem is that there is no remote for the orbiter that matches the STB controls.  Such as up, down, left, right, red green etc.  There are a lot of extraneous buttons on the default remote which are not needed and some buttons that should be there that are not there such as select, up, down etc.  Is there a way to change the orbiter remote?  any help would be greatly apprecitated.
Thanks,
Randy

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 06:29:25 pm »
Yes, you can use Designer to design a new remote.

You should open the Developers Guide in the wiki and go to the HADesigner section to watch my screencasts on the subject.

Once you do this, you can specify in your template a specific designobj to use for a remote.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 08:39:49 pm »
Randy,
I have been wanting to do this very thing myself. In 2 weeks I will be switching over to DirectTV and would be happy to pitch in wherever possible to make this happen.
-Krys

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 09:03:53 pm »
Thanks Thom,
I was thinking that was the only way to do it.  I am not a very good just yet, but I think that I can learn and contribute something.  BTW I did watch your screencast.  Actually, I have watched most all of them that I could find on youtube and the website and they are so helpfull.  Keep up the good work.  It is so much easier for us visual learner to "see" how things are done.  Krys I will keep posting just to let people  know how things are going.  Thanks all.
Randy

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 07:11:24 am »
I created a remote a month or so ago with all standard STB functions and custom graphics for 0710. The designObj you want to look at is 2427 (mnuSatelliteCableBox). I'd be happy to share mine if someone wants to tell me how. As a caveat, I didn't create a new skin for that version, I simply changed/added designObjs in the Basic skin; I think the only already existing designObjs other than 2427 that are affected skin-wide are 2440 (grpLightControl) and 2288 (grpVolControls) since I added new designObjs for the rest.

Anyway, here's a screen in case anyone is interested. The buttons turn yellow when selected so you know when you've pressed something.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8226/mnusatellitecablebox.png

It's kinda hodgepodge but it *was* my first HADesigner attempt. Oh yeah, this was before I added lighting so the light control isn't on this one, but the actual designObjs are changed and just need to be re-added to 2427. I have to swap out my HD to get to 0710 db's if anyone actually wants the designObjs, but I have the images handy in both png and psd formats if you want to do your own thing with them.

:Matt

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 07:17:54 am »
As I said before...

Each device template can have a designobj override, so you don't have to sabotage the main remote. Please keep this in mind.

-Thom

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 07:47:49 am »
Yeah, I learned that after I made it :)  I moved on to simply making a whole new skin when I realized I was doing it wrong.

:Matt

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 09:33:30 am »
[..]I moved on to simply making a whole new skin[..]

Isn't it nice, how easy designing stuff for LinuxMCE becomes, ones you the hang of it?

rndinokc

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 01:42:10 am »
Hi all,
Well, after several weeks non-stop at work I am back at trying to get this functional.  My biggest question is how do I get the device template to select the remote?  I have tried selecting the design object that I have modified with HADesigner but it seems that the device template used the same remote no matter what I try.  Is there someway to select which remote the device template uses?  I am at a total loss.  I know that there has to be a way to do this.

Any help would be greatly apprecitated

Thanks,
Randy