Author Topic: LinuxMCE 710 DVD Ripping Issues and libdvdcss  (Read 3024 times)

mes374

• First post!
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE 710 DVD Ripping Issues and libdvdcss
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:37:52 pm »
Hi All,

Very nice product.

First, I've spent about a week working on setting up the LimuxMCE. So far just two issues I've run across.

1) Playback quality of DVD ripped or live playback is not quite as good as my Windows MCE on the same equipment. I've been through the forms and worked though the nVidia issues and the UI issues. It's not bad, just not as good. Little more tearing and jerkiness than I'm used to.

2) About 10% of my DVD collection can't be ripped due to "scratches" or "libdvdcss" not installed or missing. The same DVDs were ripped on the same equipment under Windows XP. I can rip them under windows and manually add them to the LinuxMCE so it's not a crises, I was just surprised.

A couple of questions,

1) I am curious if the libdvdcss is up to the latest DVD copy protection schemes or not?
2) I've not researched this yet so forgive me if it's in the forum, can one remove menu options in the UI for things one is not using the LinuxMCE for, i.e. security or telephony?

Thanks for a fine effort and great forums.

-Mark-

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE 710 DVD Ripping Issues and libdvdcss
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 08:50:27 pm »
The tearing you're experiencing is due to NVIDIA's video drivers not able to properly provision the GPU to handle both OpenGL and colorspace transformation (XV) with video synchronization.

The simplest fix is to switch to UI2 Masked. This has nothing to do with the DVD rips themselves, as they are perfect byte copies.

1. Certain copy protection schemes will defeat libdvdcss. This happens.. fortunately the # of discs actually carrying the copy protections is actually quite low. I've ripped over 1000 discs, and got hit by maybe 4.

2. No. You can't. This system is a smart home solution, and was designed to be all inclusive. We will not be adding this feature.

Thank you for your compliment. I hope what I've described above will work for you.
-Thom