Author Topic: opening ports with LMCE  (Read 3326 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
opening ports with LMCE
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »
I have a NAS that has a built in FTP server that I would like to take advantage of for transferring files from work. In the setup instructions it tells you to open port 21 on your router then use your routers outside IP address when trying to connect. I assume with the way I have my equip set up it will be more difficult if possible at all.
I am running pretty much a standard set up.
Modem->Router->core->switch->NAS
What would I need to do to be able to access the FTP from work, or is this not possible?
Thanks,
-Krys

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: opening ports with LMCE
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 06:04:49 pm »
You might want to try refuring to this post. I was able to get everything going this way.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6746.msg42277
Core: Broken :(

cesarscav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:06:26 pm »
If it is inside the linuxmce Net you should open port on the core  
go to webadmin  Advanced > Firewall rules And create a rule there for it

on your router you should open the port for the linuxmce Core not for the actual NAS

Hope it helps

Good Luck
Cesar

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:46:23 am »
If it is inside the linuxmce Net you should open port on the core  
go to webadmin  Advanced > Firewall rules And create a rule there for it

on your router you should open the port for the linuxmce Core not for the actual NAS

Hope it helps

Good Luck
Cesar

Actually it depends on a number of things - FTP for a start off can be a pain across NATs and firewalls depending on whether it is passive or active. And the advice above will only work in certain circumstances - there are other ways of doing this. If this is still an issue, let me know and I will try to help.

MarcoZan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 08:59:24 am »
just my 0,02 ....

I also happen to use my LMCE storage to download files when travelling, but since I did not like the idea to have an ftp port open to my core I followed a different path.
Basically I use putty to connect via SSH to my core, tunneling through it all the port I want to access.
This way I can remotely and safely access to file system but also I can run a regular orbiter, browse webadmin site, and so on.
As SSH is running by default on your core, you're pretty much done. Just make sure that port 22 on your firewall/router is properly redirected to internal IP of your core.

I use psftp (one of the putty utility, a command line tool ...) to download files, but I guess that you may tunnel port 21 via SSH to your core so you point any ftp client to port 21 of your local host to reach whatever file on your remote NAS.

HTH
Marco