Author Topic: Cheapest compatible remote  (Read 10321 times)

Brinson

• First post!
    • View Profile
Cheapest compatible remote
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:44:42 pm »
What is the cheapest compatible remote that is easy to set up?

I have an old analog Hauppauge WinTV card with a remote and an IR sensor attatched to the PCI card, could I get this remote working with it?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapest compatible remote
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 07:05:42 pm »
No. That won't work.

Absolute cheapest would be to get a Windows MCE remote, and get a USB UIRT. This would give you the ability to control via the remote, and give the ability to control your A/V devices.

Now...

There are many other options:

Got a supported Symbian or J2ME based cell phone? Attach a bluetooth dongle, and Use the mobile orbiter.
Got a Windows PDA? Install the Orbiter software onto it. (Web admin login page, click on Install Orbiters)
Got an extra PC? Install the Orbiter software onto it.
Got a used tablet PC? Install the orbiter software onto it.
Got $250? contact tkmedia to get a WebDT 366.
Got a Nokia N810 internet tablet? Install the Orbiter onto it.
Got a Cisco 7970 phone? Plug it in, and the Orbiter software will be provided on its touch display.
Got any web capable device? Follow the instructions on the wiki for the Web Orbiter and use that.
Want an ultra-minimal way to control an on screen display? Get a Gyration Go-Mouse, it's fully supported.

All of those are better than the MCE remote, for not much more. Now regardless of which, you should get a USB-UIRT to control your A/V devices like your TV, Cable Box, VCR, etc.. It makes life so much nicer. :)

-Thom

softwareScout

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:03:23 am »
tschak909, NOOB ALERT HERE.  I think i have a usb uirt that came with my windows mce enabled laptop. I did a search of usb uirt and the device i found looked REALLY similar to the that came with my laptop.  It also came with a Windows MCE remote.  Will these work just fine?  I saw the LMCE video today on StumbleUpon Video and fell in love with this.  It would be nice to know that I have at least ONE of the essentials already in my possession.

thanks,
softwarescout
 ::)

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:25:33 am »
The remote and transceiver should work fine, however the Usbuirt supports learning and blasting under LinuxMce where the M$ transceiver does not.

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

softwareScout

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:19:27 pm »
The remote and transceiver should work fine, however the Usbuirt supports learning and blasting under LinuxMce where the M$ transceiver does not.

HTH

Tim

Learning & Blasting?