Author Topic: WebDT 366 Speakers  (Read 4564 times)

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
WebDT 366 Speakers
« on: December 16, 2008, 03:16:11 am »
Does anyone know how to turn off the volume on the 366's short of unplugging the speakers? 

I turned on a 366 for the first time and it sounds like the speakers have been turned up to max.  You get that audible buzz that I would like to turn off if possible.

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: WebDT 366 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:21:36 am »
it may be because the mic is turned up.

ctrl-c t brings up a terminal. Do this as orbiter's progress bar starts
you can then run alsamixer

and then alsactl store.

This should fix it.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:59:39 am »
Thom - haven't picked up my 366 yet (from tk), its waiting for me in San Fran, I will be there in the next few days. But in the meantime, is there any possibility of a simple Firefox web browser on the device that you can switch back and forward between that and the orbiter - it would be really nice to be able to use this device as a portable browser as well as orbiter! This is, of course, assuming that you ported the w32 orbiter, not the actual LMCE onscreen orbiter code, thus the Computing menu isn't available....?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 01:16:18 pm »
There is no difference, Orbiter is Orbiter is Orbiter, however, space concerns prevented me from putting Firefox on it, and I want to do more work in this area to try to put in a web browser designobj into orbiter..  but not now.. do not ask.

-Thom

p.s. to clarify. There is no difference between what is running on a media director, and the other orbiters like win32, winCE, etc. none.. zero.. zilch.. The Orbiter running on PadOrbiter is literally the native linux orbiter, same as would be running under UI1, just running by itself.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:04:04 pm by tschak909 »

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 02:59:29 pm »
Thom-

Good suggestion, unfortunately it was not the speakers.  I was able to turn down all of the volume and then took the unit apart and physically disconnected the speakers.

Are there any EEs?  I think it may be capacitor squeal.  Right now, if I squeeze the unit in various places, the squeal gets softer and after a period of time goes away.  I am curious how it acts if I just leave it on for a couple hours- but don't want to do this if I'm not home- just incase :)

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:40:45 pm »
Are there any EEs?  I think it may be capacitor squeal.  Right now, if I squeeze the unit in various places, the squeal gets softer and after a period of time goes away.  I am curious how it acts if I just leave it on for a couple hours- but don't want to do this if I'm not home- just incase :)

I think you should consider inductors as well as caps in your noise hunt.  I have always been surprised by how much audible sound caps and inductors can make.  Usually pressing on components on the circuit boards until the sound is muffled is the best way to find the source.  I have also had some limited luck tracking down culprits by listening through a small tube to localize the source. 

If you do find a suspect component, resoldering it might help.

HTH,

Alex

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 05:58:25 pm »
I appreciate the suggestions.  We have a EE in the office, so I asked him and he said it was probably the ballast for the LCD.

Haven't done anything to eliminate the noise yet, but will post when I find a solution or even what I've tried.

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 06:22:41 pm »
Update-

I removed the lcd and ballast from one device and put it into another...  now both work great and I don't have the noise issue.

On a side note, has anyone tried a different NIC for these devices?  I would like to replace the 802.11b card with a 802.11g card, if possible-  (just hoping to get the audio screen to load faster).

Thanks

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 06:28:38 pm »
just hoping to get the audio screen to load faster).

I have found that there is no speed difference on my audio screen, between using my n810 (via Wifi) and the on-screen orbiter.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 06:36:43 pm »
There is very little I/O transferred actually,

Not enough to make a dent when bandwidth is increased.

Orbiter needs some profiling and optimization done with respect to populating data grids.

-Thom

jimmejames

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 06:45:48 pm »
Thanks guys-  much appreciated.