Author Topic: Gyration GYR4101US Air Music Remote  (Read 15547 times)

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Gyration GYR4101US Air Music Remote
« on: December 15, 2008, 06:50:56 pm »
Has anyone been able to successfully use this remote? I am looking into purchasing one and was trying to decide between GYR4101US Air Music Remote and the GYR3101US which I have seen in the Wiki but I wanted to make sure that it would be fully functional before I jump in.

Any experiences with any of these remotes?

Thanks

dbs

• View Profile
Re: Gyration GYR4101US Air Music Remote
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:34:47 pm »
I too am interested in this remote as it appears to be an enhanced 3101 with a small LCD screen and 100 ft. range vs. 30 ft. on the GYR3101US.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823172020

http://www.amazon.com/Gyration-GYR4101US-Air-Music-Remote/dp/B0018DH696/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1236193494&sr=8-3

As an aside, while Newegg is my go-to place I often find better price/shipping at Amazon or Buy.com if you're willing to wait a bit longer. zipzoomfly also has some super deals at times.

d

bobua

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 02:42:17 am »
i just picked it up from fry's today, it certainly doesn't autodetect it, but that's as far as I've gotten so far

bobua

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:51:41 am »
decent luck so far, the remote does let me move the cursor around and click.

I'm a complete linux noob, but I've managed a few things.  created a custom .xmodmap file to get some of the stuff working(after googling vi commands, holy shit somebody get me notepad.exe).  I'm not exactly sure how the fiire remote is supposed to work, so I have no idea when I don't have something mapped or there is no mapping.  For example, there is no volume up and down as far as I can tell, just a 'volume' button and then you move the remote\cursor accordingly.  That works well enough, along with the stop, chapter up and chapter down buttons.  Fast forward and reverse suck pretty hard though.

reverse gots to << 2x and brings up the cursor and blue meter at the bottom, but I can't get it to do anything, pressing reverse again\moving the cursor do nothing, same thing with fast forward >> 2x  I can't seem to change the rate.  The play button also doesn't work, the only way i can stop ff or rewinding is by using the chapter buttons.  Pause doesn't work either.

I figured out how to use xev to get the codes, but now I have to figure out what exactly I am supposed to map them to

edit:  seems one of the function keys, f7 i think, is what I really want mapped for the gyro option to fast forward or rewind, hopefully i can just map both of those to f7.  Not sure what to map the play button to though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:37:51 am by bobua »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:59:46 am »
You will not be able to do it that way. A specific device template needs to be made for that remote, and specific support for that remote needs to be written into Orbiter. That remote sends LOTS of custom HID packets, so no matter how much you xmodmap things, you will not get the full experience out of the remote using that method.

I can do the development, if someone is willing to pay me.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 04:00:32 pm »
You will not be able to do it that way. A specific device template needs to be made for that remote, and specific support for that remote needs to be written into Orbiter. That remote sends LOTS of custom HID packets, so no matter how much you xmodmap things, you will not get the full experience out of the remote using that method.

I can do the development, if someone is willing to pay me.

-Thom

I would pitch in if someone decides to pay Thom, LMCE needs a gyro remote that is still on the market. I am sick of this fiire chief nonsense. I own one of these gyration remotes and it is soooo smooth, only issue is some of the buttons cant be decoded properly and someone smarter than me (Thom) needs to do the dev. So, lets get a tally of who is interested in splitting the cost and having Thom set one of these up.

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 04:27:52 pm »
I don't have one of these, I currently use Fiire remotes.  But, given the shaky ground Fiire seems to be on, I'd like to have a ready to go backup in case I couldn't get a Fiire Chief if needed.

I don't know what the cost is of something like this but I'd be willing to pitch in $100 via paypal.  If others pitch in too we should be able to cover Thom's time.

Get on board folks, time to start paying for all this excellent support.

Message me with payment info Thom, and I'll shoot the cash to ya.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 07:44:46 pm »
The issue is, this will take a considerable amount of time due to the required research. It's at least 30 hours worth of work.

-Thom

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:51:55 pm »
I am also willing to pitch in with 100$. Really small amount for the product all the guys did.

Here in Croatia 1 hour time is around 50$ so as Thom said, around 30 work hours, we need definetly more guys to pitch in!

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:04:03 pm »
The issue is, this will take a considerable amount of time due to the required research. It's at least 30 hours worth of work.

-Thom

Eek!  I don't think I could foot the whole bill.  I'll boost my contribution to $200, what's your total estimate on this Thom?  Maybe if we can put a hard number on it we can get the offers rolling in.

bobua

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 05:04:09 am »
I'm good for $100

I never understoon why the fiire chief got all the support while something like the gyration(hasn't it been around longer?  at least the company) doesn't.  You can pick up the gyration at walmart, last I checked fiire wouldn't even sell you the chief unless you bought one of their media centers.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 04:40:23 am »
bump to see if there is anyone else willing to pitch in

bobua

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 03:12:06 am »
bump

rkcastor

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 02:44:19 pm »
So is this discussion dead or are there people out there still desiring the development of this remote's functionality?