Author Topic: Gyration GYR4101US Air Music Remote  (Read 15543 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Gyration GYR4101US Air Music Remote
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 04:18:57 pm »
I own one and would pitch in

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 01:22:48 pm »
Hi All,

So what happened to this remote? It working with 0810?
Would contribute too if needed.

ThinkCentre

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 01:20:12 am »
This thread doesn't seem to want to go away. I think this remote is becomming a market leader in gyro remotes.

I'm also looking at a gyration remote and can't see the GYR3101 being offered anymore only the GYR4101. What is the situation with this remote, is it functional, will I be able to set it up with limited technical experience? Does the gyration RF keyboard that comes with the remote work too?

The reason I want this type of remote is so I not only have the "one button for all actions" option but also the full range of dedicated buttons (for example channel change, volume, ff..) i'm hoping my old man will be able to use it and I don't think he can grasp the idea of the one button thing. Plus the remote comes in a package with a keyboard that I think could be really handy.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 01:21:37 am »
I do not have one to test.

-Thom

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 03:29:33 pm »
I haven't had time to get them completely working, but I have three of these in my setup. I found that backporting this patch https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/101673/ got the kernel to recognize almost all of the keys on the remote.

I haven't had time to look into how to map the key presses to something useful in LinuxMCE, but using the "GO Cordless GC1005M" template almost everything works.  The one annoying thing that doesn't work currently is the green menu button in the center, but I think that's just a matter of mapping the right key in the device template.

I haven't even tried to get the LCD to do anything useful.  It would be nice if it could operate as a mini-orbiter.  But I suspect it would take a lot of reverse engineering to get working properly.

I'll post the changes I made to the HID driver tonight when I get home from work.
Eric Severance
My setup

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 02:36:42 am »
Attached is the patch from the previous message applied to the 2.6.27.17 kernel.  If I remember correctly, all buttons except for the ones at the top (TV, PC, CAB/SAT, AUX, etc) are recognized and interpreted by the kernel with this driver.  That should make it 'easy' for someone to create a template for the remote in LinuxMCE.  I haven't had time to work in this recently, but maybe someone else can pick up where I left off...

** edit 2010/10/07 - removed the attachment.  See the Trac ticket for the latest version
http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/838
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:08:24 pm by esev »
Eric Severance
My setup

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 05:25:29 am »
I'd recommend opening a trac ticket and posting this data to it at svn.linuxmce.org

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 05:52:30 am »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I opened a ticket.  If I find time to work on this I'll post updates on the ticket.

http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/838
Eric Severance
My setup

esev

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Eric Severance
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:26 am »
With TSHACK and MerkWerk's help on IRC tonight I managed to get this remote working on my system.  I've updated the trac ticket with the technical details of what needs to be done.

I also created a page for the remote on the on the wiki.  The Wiki page is a work in progress, but it contains step by step instructions for getting the remote working with the current version of 0810.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Gyration_GYR4101US

Please provide feedback if you are (or aren't) able to get this working on your setup.
Eric Severance
My setup

ThinkCentre

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 02:31:38 pm »
Great work! You guys are AWSOME!!