Author Topic: How to properly tag episodes?  (Read 2777 times)

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
How to properly tag episodes?
« on: December 15, 2008, 08:42:50 am »
Hi,

just wondering if the orbiter is currently able to handle episodes?
Maybe I'm doing something wrong... I have a couple of episodes which do all have the same title attribute but different episode names. I expected the orbiter to show the title only once and go to a new screen showing the episodes after selecting the title. Instead the orbiter shows every episode on the first screen, i.e. I see the same title several times. BTW, when selecting a video, the orbiter does not show the episode on the details screen either.
Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug/missing feature?

BR
/chriss

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: How to properly tag episodes?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 02:28:08 pm »
I just organize my series by folders then tag the folder.

I have a folder called Series with sub folders for each series.
And in the series I have sub folders for each season.

I have tagged the folders with covers, each season has it's own cover for that season.

When I want to select my episodes I just change to folder view, and select the Series folder and from there I can scroll covers to the correct series, then scroll cover for the correct season and at last the episode.

Whenever I watch a episode I add a screen shot to the episode so I know that I have seen it. Unseen episodes have no screen shot.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:08:21 pm »
If you have a gyro mouse or gyro remote there is additional info that displays when you mouse over a cover.  I don't remember if episode info is there or if it's just the full title. 

As I understand it, the devs (just Thom??) are working on improving the handling of videos with special attention to recorded TV media types.  For now what I do is watch recorded TV from within Myth which does sort by show name and has another panel with episode names as well as easier deleting, returning to that screen after a show is played, etc.  If it's a TV Series DVD I rip each episode individually, create a play list, and play from there.  This keeps track of what I've played and lets me continue from where I left off. 

In short, there are a lot of limitations and playing TV shows via video menu is a bit klunky IMHO, but the devs are doing a great job and are aware of the shortcomings.  Best advice I can give is stick with doing things the LMCE way, tag your media correctly, and be patient until new versions come out.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 05:12:04 pm »
We have an Episode Attribute, but it is currently not visible from the File List. Tag your episodes with that attribute for now.

-Thom

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:31:13 pm »
Thom,
thanks for the input. Got them tagged and will leave it like this. just wasn't sure if I'm doing something wrong.
any hints on what needs to be done to enable this? probably in the orbiter code!?! guess I need to setup a build environment first...

@skeptic, cirion, thanks for describing your workarounds.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:59:05 pm »
To implement this would require changing:

* The relevant designobjs in designer
* adding anything needed to Media_File_Grids.* in src/Media_Plugin, again..if needed.

But the UI layout of this is most important.

-Thom