Author Topic: LIRC problem - iMON Remote Controll + SoudGraph IR/LCD  (Read 8195 times)

gumis

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
LIRC problem - iMON Remote Controll + SoudGraph IR/LCD
« on: December 14, 2008, 06:00:48 pm »
As I'm new to this forum and LMCE, so first of all I would like to say thank you to all developers of Linux MCE. It is such a great product that I can't even describe it. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but hopefully that will change soon and I'll be able to share my knowledge with other users on this forum.

My problem at the moment is iMON remote which came with my HTPC case Antec Fusion Max - I can't get it to work under LMCE.
As I mentioned already in the subject of this post, I'm using SoundGraph IR with LCD (Device ID: 15c2:0038) and that's where the problem is. So far I've managed to:
- build new version of lirc (0.8.4) - the driver registers fine:
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.255579] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287205] lirc_imon: Driver for Soundgraph iMON MultiMedia IR/VFD w/imon pad2keys patch, v0.3p2k
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287210] lirc_imon: Venky Raju <dev@venky.ws>
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287766] lirc_imon: imon_probe: found IMON device
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287766] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287766] lirc_imon: imon_probe: Registered iMON plugin(minor:0)
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287766] lirc_imon: imon_probe: iMON device on usb<2:3> initialized
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287766] lirc_imon: imon_probe: found IMON device
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287766] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287766] lirc_imon: imon_probe: Registered iMON plugin(minor:1)
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287766] lirc_imon: imon_probe: iMON device on usb<2:3> initialized
Dec 14 15:23:09 dcerouter kernel: [   22.287766] usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_imon

- I'm able to display anything on the LCD using LCDd
- I've tested my remote control using 'irw' and 'mode2' program and that works fine as well, but... everything works fine as long as I change boot parameters of lirc.

My IR module is SouthGraph 15c2:0038 and it creates two devices - /dev/lirc0 and /dev/lirc1, as described here: http://mythtvblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/getting-imon-0038-lcd-working-with-lirc.html
Lirc on my Linux MCE automatically creates a process with no additional boot options (parameters): lircd -H default -d /dev/lirc0 /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
My question is, is the a chance to change this in Device Template configuration? I've tried everything without any luck - even killing KMCE's process and creating my own one.

To support my IR/LCD + remote + Antec knob I need to execute lirc with the following command:
lircd --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc0 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc0.pid --listen=8765 /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
lircd --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc1 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc1.pid --output=/dev/lircd --connect=localhost:8765 /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

"With the 0038 version, lircd creates the following devices:/dev/lcd0, /dev/lcd1, /dev/lirc0, and /dev/lirc1.
The iMON pad remote acts like a mouse/keyboard in addition to a remote. In the old version, it was my understanding that this was all handled through one LIRC device. However, the 0038 version splits it into 2 devices. All of the mouse/keyboard related keys come through the lirc0 device (the directional pad, left click, enter, the number button, ect....however NOT including the Mouse/Keyboard toggle button). Everything else comes through the lirc1 device (play, eject, colored buttons, zoom, etc...plus the Mouse/Keyboard toggle button)."

Is it somehow possible to edit startup options of LIRC? Or maybe there is another workaround this problem?

I'll appreciate all help and advice.
[core/hybrid]
mobo: Asus P5Q/P45, 8.1 HD Intel Audio, 1GB NIC
proc: Intel-D 3GHz, LGA775
ram: 4GB OCZ
hdd: 1x160GB SATA and 2x500GB SATA
gfx: MSI GF9400GT,VGA/DVI/HDMI,512MB RAM
case: Antec Fusion MAX with iMON RC, LCD and iMON knob

fastie81

• Veteran
  • SSDD
    • View Profile
Re: LIRC problem - iMON Remote Controll + SoudGraph IR/LCD
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 01:26:17 am »
hi
If you have alook at my site I know how I got it working on Mythbuntu you can have alook at the end where to add the two lines in..
I can't even get the remote to work but I think it is to do with my kernel and maybe 810
this is only a draft and points to the link you had.
http://sites.google.com/site/it1stop/Home/linux/mythbuntu---linuxmce/lirc-remote
c

fastie81

• Veteran
  • SSDD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 01:36:58 am »
BTW: It looks like the 0038 imod is now supported in lirc 0.8.4a

gumis

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:02:34 am »
fastie81: thanks for your replay but I think you misunderstood me.
My iMON remote works fine after patching, so that's not the problem. My problem is lirc - which creates two /dev/lirc* devices (lirc0 and lirc1) in the system, but LinuxMCE by default (and I think it's actually hard coded in the source) uses only /dev/lirc0

Someone mentioned to me that it might be done using udev, but I don't know how could it be achieved yet.

I had a look on the source code of LIRC_DCE and this line: lircd -H default -d /dev/lirc0 /etc/lirc/lircd.conf is basically hard coded. The only thing that changes is -H (driver) and -d (device) options. There is no way to add additional start up parameters for LIRC.

Any other ideas?

[core/hybrid]

fastie81

• Veteran
  • SSDD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 08:44:19 pm »
Ok I have not got to that point yet but I know it works in myth.
can you have alook at this and see if you can change anything here..
It is a bit hard if the stuff is hardcoded..
if that is the case we would need the guys from linuxmce to help us on this one..
Have you tried asking guys in irc if someone can help you..
They are good..
#If it work you can now add to two commands to your /etc/init.d/lirc file. just past it on the top of the file and save it. remember to take the sudo out.#

gumis

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 07:30:06 pm »
Maybe someone from developers team could say something about this issue?
Would it be possible to specify device to use for particular hardware? Or maybe even set start-up command manually? Or anything else that would let start two lircd with command like this:
lircd --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc0 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc0.pid --listen=8765 /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
lircd --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc1 --pidfile=/var/run/lirc1.pid --output=/dev/lircd --connect=localhost:8765 /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

fastie81: I appreciate your input, but LinuxMCE is compleatly different. There is no /etc/init.d/lirc startup script, so there is nothing to modify. Program responsible for bringing lircd up is called LIRC_DCE in LMCE and it sits in /usr/pluto/bin directory. This is binary file, so it would have to be re-compiled - as I mentioned before, startup options are hard coded into it.
Actually that reminds me...

Would anyone know if it's possible to re-compile only LIRC_DCE module? or would I have to re-compile the whole LMCE source?

ps.
I can't believe that no-one else is complaining about it! SoundGraph IR/LCD is very popular and it comes in most HTPC cases these days... well, hopefully I'll find someone one day to help me with it.
[core/hybrid]

fastie81

• Veteran
  • SSDD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:28:14 pm »
No worries..
I am also trying to get this to work in LMCE. But because my hardware is so new I have to play around with 8.10 Alpha.
I would say try the IRC channel.. I am sure you will get help there..
I will keep my eye out if I find anything ells..
BTW: why the Lirc 0.8.4 fixed alot of this problems.. now I don;t know if we still have to run the two commands.. this is what I am going to find out over my time off the next two weeks.. May be worth having a look if you want..
C