Author Topic: CD install help required  (Read 3442 times)

stampeder

• View Profile
CD install help required
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:29:02 pm »
I have a Compaq EVO desktop with 1.7 Ghz motherboard, 280Megs ram, 800 Gig hdd, two nics, and DVD writer installed. On to this I have installed Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, which works great.
I downloaded both LinuxMCE cd's using Ktorent with no problems and the totally verify.
Both CD iso's have been written to CD's at 10X and verify perfectly.

The installation instructions on the Wiki say to us the Kubuntu package installer to load the mce-installer onto the Kubuntu system. However, in Gutsy Gibbon the only package installers available are Gdeb installer and Adept package installer.

When I use either of these installers I get a lot of drive activity from the CDROM drive and the HDD but when all the activity stops there is NO icon on the desktop that I can click on to start the mce-installer.

Where can I go to manually find and start the installer? Incidently, I have downloaded and burnt the iso CD'S at least three times, always with the same results.

One additional thing is that this computer has been running Knoppmyth as a slave for over two years. I also have had Knoppmyth running in a master/slave configuration for the last two years and want to upgrade to LinuxMCE because it seems a better solution.

Thanks.
Glenn.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:31:46 pm by stampeder »

Throne Logic

• View Profile
Re: CD install help required
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 05:41:25 am »
I have a similar problem.  Two good CD's burned correctly resulting in the deb package on CD #1.  It does not autorun.  I also cannot lauch it via the Kubuntu Package Menu via the right-click menu as it does not exist.  I can choose OPEN WITH and select the GDebi Package Installer.  However, this option leads to a new dialog with the shiny INSTALL PACKAGE button that prompts me for the ROOT password and goes off to do nothing at all.

I'm an advanced tech in the MS world with very little Linux experience.  I'm trying very hard to make the leap into LinuxMCE  as the options and functionality look to be outstanding.  The simple fact that I cannot even lauch the install per the instructions is darkening my Linux cloud rather quickly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 07:16:12 am »
You must install Kubuntu 7.10 using its install CD before using the two LinuxMCE CDs.

You launch the CD installer by right clicking on the file and choosing to install the package. After Installation, you should see an Install LinuxMCE package that you can then run to install the system.

Alternatively, you can use our quick install DVDs.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 08:36:09 am »
Why are you using the CDs instead of the the DVD? Seriously, unless you have a really good reason don't use the CDs. The DVD is much easier and vastly faster (40mins vs 3+hrs). The CDs should be used if you are having difficulty with hardware compatibility, for customising partitions, etc.

Throne Logic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:28:32 pm »
Why are you using the CDs instead of the the DVD? Seriously, unless you have a really good reason don't use the CDs. The DVD is much easier and vastly faster (40mins vs 3+hrs). The CDs should be used if you are having difficulty with hardware compatibility, for customising partitions, etc.

Simple answer:  Using an older PC to evaluate LMCE prior to working with my live boxes.  Didn't have a DVD player in it at the time.  I believe I figured out where the problems might be.  I'm wondering if the OS updates I ran were the problem.  There is mention that running OS updates on top of LMCE will screw things up.  Anyhow, I decided to reset and try again.

New path:  I downloaded the DVD iso overnight, installed a DVD drive, and ran the DVD installer this morning.  Things started off well.  Kubuntu completed and rebooted.  The LMCE setup ran and I prompted with its basic questions.  This all went off without a hitch.  However,at this point, the install seems to be stuck in a loop with a dialog reporting the error: "Orbiter failed to initialize OPENGL".  The only option isOK.  After a few OK's it became apparent that I was stuck in the aforementioned loop.  So, I figured I'd return here to see what I might try next.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

- TL

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 10:01:07 pm »
You haven't said anything about your hardware. Especially the graphics chipset - you really need to use nVidia, preferably in the 6200-7300 range. For more recent chipsets, you will likely have to follow the instructions in the Display Drivers wiki article on updating the nVidia drivers.