Author Topic: remedy change UI I to UI II- with nVidia beta driver 180.18  (Read 5463 times)

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
remedy change UI I to UI II- with nVidia beta driver 180.18
« on: December 27, 2008, 04:05:40 pm »
Hi forum,

First of all Happy Christmas to all LinuxMCE- and forum users!!
Doing some testing to get improved displayspeed while lowering CPU activity for HD content, I installed the stock nVidia 180.18 driver (supports vdpau, as it seems).

As my core does not have an onboard speaker, it is impossible to hear beeps of any kind during boot procedure.
Since the core has a MSI nVidia 9400GT with hdmi on board, I have no way (until now) to enter the AVWizard.
Did try to bring the wizard up from cli, only to loose it to some X console I could not see or connect to, unfortunately...

Now my question:
The system is running UI I (basic)
How can I manually configure it to use UI II (OpenGL)?

It seems that looking at the pluto admin page, the options "Use alpha blended UI" and "Use OpenGL effects" are greyed out, so I cannot enable any of these....

Could it be that Open GL is not properly working or configured?

Thanks for your suggestions!!

Erwin
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 04:30:58 pm by Lexje »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: remedy change UI I to UI II- with nVidia beta driver 180.18
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 06:15:50 pm »
In orbiter menu, you have the option to run av wizard on next boot, iirc.

rgds
Oliver

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:38:53 pm »
There should be an "audio/video setup" button on the orbiter's advanced screen, and there should also be a button on the launch manager's video tab, I think it was called "change resolution" or something, Either one should do the trick.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:51:05 pm »
Listen to Zaerc. He knows much better what he is talking about than me :)

rgds
Oliver

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 05:00:09 am »
Also, there's nothing stopping you holding down the shift button even if you can't hear the beeps! Just wait for your BIOS power on self test to complete then hold shift until the Kubuntu progress bar has come up and gone all the way to the right.

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 10:19:00 am »
Guys, thanks for your answers.

As it seems on the LMCE Launcher these 'buttons' are non-existant.
And in Pluto-Admin the Obiter advanced screen shows indeed a checkbox for:
- Use alpha blended UI
- Use OpenGL effects

However these are greyed out, so unselectable...

I feel either something is lacking in the installation, or I should be able to manually edit some configuration file...

When I look at the 'view whole log' screen in the advanced orbiter screen of pluto admin, I get +900 lines showing:
Code: [Select]
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.548 Event type 4 <0xb642c6e0>
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.564 Event type 4 <0xb642c6e0>
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.787 Event type 5 <0xb642c6e0>
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.793 Event type 1 <0xb642c6e0>
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.794 Event type 1 <0xb642c6e0>

I've tried to get into the AVWizard, and I know it's running (I've even started it from cli), but whether I press buttons 1-5 nothing changes... I seem to loose connexion with my VGA card output, as I can't get back to any terminal screen either..

I have my 24" Samsung monitor connected to the hdmi outlet via a DVI - HDMI adapter. (As it's intended to connect my Aquos using hdmi later on...)

Any more ideas?

Thank you,
Erwin
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:23:37 am by Lexje »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 03:26:13 pm »
For fucks sake, are you looking with your nose or something???  Just like I told you earlier, there is a big "Change Resolution" button right smack in the middle of that screenshot you posted!

* Zaerc walks away, shaking his head while mumbling something about "some people".
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 05:09:47 pm »
Guys, thanks for your answers.

And in Pluto-Admin the Obiter advanced screen shows indeed a checkbox for:
- Use alpha blended UI
- Use OpenGL effects

However these are greyed out, so unselectable...

I feel either something is lacking in the installation, or I should be able to manually edit some configuration file...

When I look at the 'view whole log' screen in the advanced orbiter screen of pluto admin, I get +900 lines showing:
Code: [Select]
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.548 Event type 4 <0xb642c6e0>
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.564 Event type 4 <0xb642c6e0>
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.787 Event type 5 <0xb642c6e0>
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.793 Event type 1 <0xb642c6e0>
05 12/28/08 9:58:56.794 Event type 1 <0xb642c6e0>

I've tried to get into the AVWizard, and I know it's running (I've even started it from cli), but whether I press buttons 1-5 nothing changes... I seem to loose connexion with my VGA card output, as I can't get back to any terminal screen either..

I have my 24" Samsung monitor connected to the hdmi outlet via a DVI - HDMI adapter. (As it's intended to connect my Aquos using hdmi later on...)

Any more ideas?

Thank you,
Erwin

Hi Erwin,

As Colin has already said you can 'force' the AVwizard to run by just pressing the 'shift' key down through bootup... see here for info http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard

Zaerc's suggestions are just another way of achieving the same thing... you really need to read peoples responses more carefully ;-)

Happy new year!

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 05:26:26 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for all your posts.
I do admit shortnosedly after Zaerc's bite that I need to read more carefully - but...
As I wrote earlier in my post, there seems to be no way to get the AVWizard 'show' (I know it's there, but I can't see it, not even with my nose :-) )

We're talking about the Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H mobo, with amd 780g chipset (incl. hdmi) and an extra nvidia MSI 9400GT in the pci express x16 slot. (also with hdmi outlet) The onboard VGA has been switched off in bios.

What I did just now is connect 2 monitors, one to VGA and one to DVI BUT this time via a DVI-VGA adaptor, and yes, now the AVWizard is visible... (Indeed I seem to have read elsewhere, that this adaptor trick may help...)

But, I was actually a little shortsighted by comparing my screenshot with the one from the wiki, and there are buttons lacking... How is this?? And why are the tickler boxes greyed out in pluto admin?

Thanks for your comments,

Erwin
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 05:46:13 pm by Lexje »

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:44:33 pm »
Here's what you need to do.  Go into your bios and turn on your vga port.  Plug a generic monitor into it and keep your hdmi plugged in to your normal display.  Turn on your computer and once bios is finished with it's load up, hold the shift button.  This might take a few mins as your computer loads up kubuntu and LMCE.  Holding shift during load up allows you to enter into the A/V wizard using the vga output, which is default.  Then, within the A/V wizard, you can tell it to use your hdmi output and to use UI2 or UI2a.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 08:51:08 pm »
wasn't clear from your post that you had 2 video chipsets. in addition to the other suggestions - LMCE could easily select the wrong chipset if it isn't fully disabled (the chipset, not just the vga port you seem to mention). Go to a shell, ssh in or simply start in recovery mode from the GRUB boot menu, then use lspci to show your PCI devices. Not the PCI Bus ID of the correct chipset, then edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and change the ID in the Device section. You should also change the driver (to "nvidia"). Be aware that every time you go into the AV wizard it will rewrite this file, so if you are having difficulties you may need to manually configure the resolution, etc in that same file and avoid the AV wizard altogether. But it is usually better to use the wizard if you can. Also, note that LMCE may select the wrong video output port and resolution - you can override these by pressing the 1 thru 0 keys on the keyboard... read the article totallymaxed sent you for details.