Author Topic: ASUS M3N78-EM  (Read 30714 times)

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
Re: ASUS M3N78-EM
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 08:54:09 am »
You're on the right way :) Just put the driver on the memory stick, connect it to your PC, run command
Code: [Select]
dmesgand see what device it uses. It should be something like sdb1. Then create a directory:
mkdir /mnt/myusband mount your memory stick:
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/myusbAfter that find the dirver in the /mnt/myusb and run it:
sh /mnt/myusb/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29.pkg1.runBut note that you need some NIC. Because integrated one won't work till you upgrade the kernel. And it's difficult a bit to do without Internet connection :)
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

donnsuil

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 10:33:22 pm »
Thanks for the info, that works.

I have a DLink wireless USB NIC, but I suspect that wont work. NICs aren't expensive, so I'll go out and get another.

Cheers,
Martin
OK.

slow_learner

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:43 pm »
nite,
could you possible go through how you went about updating your kernel to get the nic to work? I've never done it so a little guidance would go a real long way.

thanks,

shane

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 09:28:06 am »
nite,
could you possible go through how you went about updating your kernel to get the nic to work? I've never done it so a little guidance would go a real long way.

thanks,

shane

The simple guide exists in the wiki - http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Upgrading_the_Kernel
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
SOLVED - ASUS M3N78-EM - upgrade kernel - Mythtv - THE ANSWER
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 11:33:26 pm »
Hi,

I'm jumping in here as I'm trying to get this mobo up and running as my core/hybrid.
I'm at the point where I've got pretty much everything running except mythtv.
I'v tried to modify the /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend script according to http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Upgrading_the_Kernel#Mythtv
However I must have something wrong as I get following:
Stopping MythTV server: mythbackend No /usr/bin/mythbackend found running; none killed.
linuxmce@dcerouter:/var/log$ sudo /etc/init.d/[color=blue]mythtv-backend start[/color]
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend: line 52: /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq: No such file or directory
linuxmce@dcerouter:/var/log$

apart from that, I have:
linuxmce@dcerouter://proc/sys/dev/hpet$ ls
max-user-freq

My /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend looks like this:
#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          mythtv-backend
# Required-Start:    $local_fs
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs
# Default-Start:     24
# Default-Stop:      S
# Short-Description: Start/Stop the MythTV server.
### END INIT INFO

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/bin/mythbackend
NAME="mythbackend"
DESC="MythTV server"

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

set -e

USER=mythtv
RUNDIR=/var/run/mythtv
ARGS="--daemon --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log --pidfile $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid"
EXTRA_ARGS=""
NICE=0

if [ -f /etc/default/mythtv-backend ]; then
  . /etc/default/mythtv-backend
fi

ARGS="$ARGS $EXTRA_ARGS"

mkdir -p $RUNDIR
chown -R $USER $RUNDIR

unset DISPLAY
unset SESSION_MANAGER

# this is needed for LMCE, esp on MD's
adduser --quiet mythtv public || :

case "$1" in
  start)
if test -e $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid ; then
echo "mythbackend already running, use restart instead."
else
        # set the timeslice to 1/1024 of a sec for smoother mythtv and xine and mplayer playback
           if [ -w /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq ] # check if RTC (older kernels) exists and I can write to it
               # failure is not an option!
           then echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
elif [ -w /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq ] # or newer kernels with the High Precision Timer (HPET)
           # may or may not emulate the older RTC fully
then echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
   fi # start starting the startup of mythtv
echo -n "Starting $DESC: $NAME " start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid \
--chuid $USER --nicelevel $NICE --exec $DAEMON -- $ARGS
echo "."
fi
;;
  stop)
echo -n "Stopping $DESC: $NAME "
start-stop-daemon --stop --oknodo --pidfile $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid \
--chuid $USER --exec $DAEMON -- $ARGS
test -e $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid && rm $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid
echo "."
;;
  restart|force-reload)
echo -n "Restarting $DESC: $NAME "
start-stop-daemon --stop --oknodo --pidfile $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid \
                --chuid $USER --exec $DAEMON -- $ARGS
echo "."
sleep 3
echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile $RUNDIR/$NAME.pid \
                --chuid $USER --nicelevel $NICE --exec $DAEMON -- $ARGS
echo "."
;;
  *)
N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Erwin

Answer found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6867532#post6867532
Looks like you set your pvr-150 card up as a software encoder instead of a hardware encoder. Fix this in mythtv-setup and you should be golden.
Thanks for your advice,
Just to know for the future: How exactly do you distinguish this card is setup as a software encoder?

2009-03-09 22:34:35.490 NVR(/dev/video0): Unknown video codec.  Please go into the TV Settings, Recording Profiles and [color=red[u]]setup the four 'Software Encoders' profiles.[/u][/color]  Assuming RTjpeg for now.
2009-03-09 22:34:35.491 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: Unknown audio codec
That pointed to being the card setup incorrectly. Also, with a pvr-150, you should have .mpg's, not .nuv's
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:22:57 am by Lexje »

Craptastic

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 04:16:54 am »
Anyone who has the video working with latest driver 180.29?

I upgraded based on that version and can't get past the screen cycling.

If not 180.29 what version of driver are you running?

Thx

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 10:13:54 am »
Craptastic, yes I have 180.29 running, and so have quite some others here on the forum.
After booting when your screen is like 'pumping' to get X running
- go to another terminal window by pressing Alt-F2 or Alt-F3
- issue
sudo killall gdm (this will stop X from trying to continuously restart)
- proceed with the install of 180.29

Mind you have to remove some nvidia related stuff before 180.29 will properly install or else you may find yourself with thinking 180.29 is installed, but Kubuntu loading the 'stock' nvidia module....

Success!

Craptastic

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 04:44:13 am »
Thank you Lexje

Tried doing the sudo killall gdm and it came back reporting nothing to kill.

Rebooted and ran the install again for 180.29 the same way I have a number of times previously and everything works. Strange....

Anyway, thanks for confirming 180.29 was working, I was starting to blame the software.

Craptastic

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 07:42:07 pm »
I need Help!

I am trying to set up the ASUS M3N78-EM as a diskless MD.  I have created it manually and doubled checked that the IP and MAC are correct.  I have done the r8169.ko hack and installed the driver r8168.ko where it needs to be.  I have modified the initramfs-tools/modules file to include r8168.  I also have regenerated the correct MD (#111).  Insured that the r8169.ko does not have the r8168 info in it.  I still get this as the last few lines when it attempts to boot:

[   11.196000] NET: Registered protocol family 17
ipconfig: eth0: SIOCGIFINDEX: No such device
ipconfig: no devices to configure
/init: .: 1: Can't open /tmp/net-eth0.conf
[   11.204000] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I'm clueless at this point because I've read all of the wiki and forum information on the r8168/r8169 overlap problems and understand a number of people have successfully set this MB up as a diskless MD.  I understand that this has been done without upgrading the entire kernel.  If anyone can give me a clue I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, could I have the bios possibly set wrong?  I assume it's ok because it begins to boot from the core and then dies at the same exact point every time. 

Thanks in advance,
RocketLynx (Charles)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:36:43 pm by rocketlynx »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2009, 02:34:16 pm »
Well I'm missing the part where you regenerate the (default) initramfs from your story, merely modifying initramfs-tools/modules is not enough.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 08:59:22 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  First, I'm only going to use the Fusion V2 and M3N78-EM for a diskless Media Director.  I'm done for now with the r8168/r8169 problem, I installed a Linksys ethernet board and I am up running except I've got the famous X-Server problem.  I know it's the nvidia driver problem.  I'm going to get that working and then go back to the r8168 and remove the extra pci network board later.

I know it's a 8300 video chip and am looking into the forum and wikis for help.  I've read about the strip header and install scrip for all MDs but am stumped because it seems to want to effect the core not the MD I'm updating.  Am I missing something?  I'm slowed because this is Linux and as I've stated in my original post I've been Windowing for too many years so this is also a learning curve for me.  I know this seems to be annoying to some helping others because I've read many of the replies and it comes easier to those who are fluent in Linux.  Like I said I've already had a Core/Hybrid working with another Media Director OK.  I also have several Oribiters including a Blackberry Curve (thanks to sambuca) and I know I can get this new MB working with a little guidance.  I guess I've just chose a though board for my second one but the price was great at FRYs last week.  It was $109.99 for the M3N78-EM combo including an AMD 7750 CPU.  I couldn't pass it up.  I also bought the Antec Fusion V2 with VFD and ir for $129.99.

I'm trying to find the proper way to get the nvidia driver set up on the diskless MD and don't want to screw up my working core and existing MD.  One post says to create the stripheader.sh file and then, if I understand it correctly, do each of the next set of commands one at a time with one of them invoking the stripheader.sh script on the newly downloaded nvidia driver before it's applied to the MD's area.  Is that correct and the best way?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:05:30 pm by rocketlynx »

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 10:44:10 pm »
Ok after invoking Konsole as root on the core, I created stripheader.sh with the contents from here: (http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Upgrading_the_Kernel). 
Then I did this:
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/177.80/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.80-pkg1.run
And it seemed to execute  successfully.
I then did this:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.80-pkg1.run --keep --add-this-kernel
And got this directory:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.80-pkg1
Now the next line:
stripheader.sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.80-pkg1/usr/src/nv/precompiled/precompiled-nv-linux.o* NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.80-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv-linux.o
Gives me this:
bash: stripheader.sh: command not found
root@dcerouter:~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-177.80-pkg1#

It can find stripheader.sh because it's in the same directory as the Nvidia files.  It seems to be unhappy with a line or command in the stripheader.sh script.

What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:51:19 pm by rocketlynx »

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ASUS M3N78-EM On-board Video Problem
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 11:26:42 pm »
Do I have to upgrade the kernel to get this on-board Nvidia 8300 working for a Diskless Media Director.  I'm running 710RC2, 2.6.22-14-generic. Can anyone set me straight on this?
Thanks

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2009, 11:33:41 pm »
No, you just upgrade your video driver - see the wiki article Display Drivers.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2009, 12:08:08 am »
Colin, I've gone to the "Display Drivers" wiki which directed me to the "Upgrading the Kernel" wiki for the diskless Media Directors section.  I've created the stripheader.sh file from the contents on the wiki and did the following:
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/173.14.12/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.12-pkg2.run

the next line failed:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.12-pkg2.run --keep --add-this-kernel
with this message:

ERROR: this .run file is intended for the
Linux-x86_64 platform, but you appear to be
running on Linux-x86.  Aborting installation.

root@dcerouter:/#
What I'm confused about is a couple of things.  I guess I need a different nvidia package from nvidia.com because I'm running i386.  If I do, do you know which on works with LinuxMCE 710?  When I did this previously, and went to run the next line which invoked stripheader.sh file, it ended with a command not found.

This is how I got off on a different tangent.

Please suggest something, I'm a Linux newbe!

Charles