Author Topic: surveillance for home  (Read 6265 times)

qwertybob482

• View Profile
surveillance for home
« on: December 12, 2008, 07:18:37 am »
I am new to the whole forum thing, as this is my first post, but what I was wondering was if there were any good cameras to use for home surveillance or where to look for such items with decent reviews (I am also new to the searching the web for products too).

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: surveillance for home
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 07:22:34 am »
LinuxMCE works best with IP cameras, I use the Panasonic BL-C111A and its sister variants.

-Thom

qwertybob482

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 07:42:51 am »
LinuxMCE works best with IP cameras, I use the Panasonic BL-C111A and its sister variants.

-Thom

how is the quality of the video at night?

-edit- and thank you for the quick response
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:46:21 am by qwertybob482 »

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:53:38 pm »
Yet another topic I've been considering, but haven't looked into..  Does wired vs wireless matter?  Is there a specific feature that is required for LMCE integration, ie HTTP or FTP transfer?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »
Currently, LMCE uses a pull method to pull individual frames from a given camera device.

All the camera DCE device has to do, is respond to the Get Video Frame command, and return a single JPEG frame.

For the IP cameras, this is typically by doing an HTTP GET to a URL that returns a single jpeg frame.

For V4L connected cameras, the Motion application is wrapped, and individual frames are returned in response to Get Video Frame.

Either way, Orbiter triggers successive  Get Video Frame commands to display camera pictures, and the Security Plugin triggers Get Video Frame in response to security events if a sensor is linked to a camera as a related device.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 06:23:26 pm »
lmce switches on the light when taking camera pictures.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 06:33:52 pm »
Funny enough, the Lighting Plugin ALSO implements Get Video Frame, for just this reason.

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 07:06:25 pm »
Currently, LMCE uses a pull method to pull individual frames from a given camera device.

All the camera DCE device has to do, is respond to the Get Video Frame command, and return a single JPEG frame.

For the IP cameras, this is typically by doing an HTTP GET to a URL that returns a single jpeg frame.

For V4L connected cameras, the Motion application is wrapped, and individual frames are returned in response to Get Video Frame.

Either way, Orbiter triggers successive  Get Video Frame commands to display camera pictures, and the Security Plugin triggers Get Video Frame in response to security events if a sensor is linked to a camera as a related device.

-Thom

Good info.  Am I right in assuming wireless/wired makes not difference other than camera setup?  Sounds like I can even use a standard USB webcam for those cameras that sit at/near a MD via v4l.  This is something I've wanted to play with, but for some reason I had it in my mind that I needed an IP camera.

On the other hand, I didn't realize it was frames only, no video. 

On a semi-related topic, can you use the same camera for both security stuff as well as video calls such as "answering" the front door via video?  I guess I should search the wiki more, these are topics I haven't looked into much.

slow_learner

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 11:12:54 pm »
I just got a BL-C131A and am trying to get it working on LMCE 710.  Can someone walk me through the steps they've taken to get this little bugger working.

I've gotten it functional through a regular web browser.  and I've tried adding it to the system using the steps in the wiki under "IP Cameras" but that didnt' work.  I've added it as a child device under the motion wrapper plugin, no luck.  I've also added it under the "survelliance camera" section, with it saying that its controlled by the core.

one thing i know i'm probably doing wrong is the entry into the path setting.  I put it in.

/CgiStart?page=Single&Resolution=320x240&Quality=Standard&Mode=JPEG&RPeriod=65535&Size=STD&PresetOperation=Move&SendMethod=1&Language=0

which is what i copied off the browser when logged into panasonics web interface.  I've seen short path inputs, and tried them, but still nothing

I'm desperate for help!!

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 12:22:59 am »
Small addition to previous posted info,

motion can wrap USB, v4l and ip cameras. The advantage of using motion is "motion detection" and recording apropriate videos.

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

slow_learner

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 02:50:04 am »
Are the panasonic ip cameras plug and play?

the wiki article on "monitor survelliance cameras" says that most ip cameras are.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 03:53:20 am »
Yes, they are.

-Thom

slow_learner

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 08:29:22 pm »
As a follow up to the plug n play question.  I got my system to see my panasonic ip camera via plug n play, but first strange thing that it did was recognize the wrong ip address.  after fixing it in the admin, i reloaded the router and hoped to see an image on my core/hybrid md.  still nothing.  what's also peculiar is that when i exit out of that screen, the orbiter seems to crash and restart itself, a process that takes about 30 seconds to complete.  My guess is the two issues are connected.  any ideas?

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 09:11:23 pm »
As a follow up to the plug n play question.  I got my system to see my panasonic ip camera via plug n play, but first strange thing that it did was recognize the wrong ip address.  after fixing it in the admin, i reloaded the router and hoped to see an image on my core/hybrid md.  still nothing.  what's also peculiar is that when i exit out of that screen, the orbiter seems to crash and restart itself, a process that takes about 30 seconds to complete.  My guess is the two issues are connected.  any ideas?

A lot of ideas, but they all need your effort :-).....

1. explore a bit about how IP cameras work
2. there is probably some URL defined in LMCE device that expresses URL of picture provided by camera. Try that URL outside camera and check....
3. try to learn also from other ip cameras that are supported under lmce...

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

slow_learner

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 07:09:41 pm »
Thank you for the point in the right direction.

slow_mo