Author Topic: Sharp Aquous with Asus eee b202  (Read 25103 times)

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Sharp Aquous with Asus eee b202
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:53:19 pm »
I'm not sure where to put this in the wiki so I'm posting it here.  If someone could let me know I'd be happy to put it in the appropriate section of the wiki.

It's a very specific hardware combination so I'm not even sure it's really worth listing in the wiki.

I have two Sharp TV's, LC-C5255U and LC-C4255U (52" and 42" LCDs).  After finally getting NIC and Video straight on the eee box (big thanks to the community for the help in that).  I hooked up the eee box to my Sharp 42 using a DVI>HDMI cable and the screen was flashing black (like the TV was trying to resync).  Did the exact same thing on my 52" Sharp.  It works fine if I plugged into the VGA port but I want the VGA port for my computer and 1080p on the MD.

It worked fine on a Sony 42" and a Phillips 52".  So after roughly 4 hrs. on the phone with Sharp the ultimate verdict was "We don't support DVI>HDMI"

So ultimately, I'm just letting people know that MD DVI to Sharp Aquous 42/52 HDMI = Go outside and play hide and go fuck yourself.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp Aquous with Asus eee b202
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:12:30 pm »
Sounds like a modeline issue that could be sorted with some effort.  Their verdict seems like a desperate cop-out to me, especially after it took them 4 hours to figure out.

I'd say add the TVs to the wiki and put the official Sharp party line in there.  That could at least save another poor soul 4 hours on the phone with them.  And if you find suitable modelines lateron you can post them there too.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:36:25 pm »
I am using hdmi - hdmi from my abit anm2hd to sharp aquos 42 Lc64du  at 1080p and its working fine.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:39:27 pm »
It might be worth noting that I had problems with a blank screen using DVI->HDMI adapter with a Pioneer LX-5080 as well. Using a different adapter helped to sort things out (the original ATI adapter worked fine.)

rgds
Oliver

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:04:35 pm »
Sounds like a modeline issue that could be sorted with some effort.  Their verdict seems like a desperate cop-out to me, especially after it took them 4 hours to figure out.

I'd say add the TVs to the wiki and put the official Sharp party line in there.  That could at least save another poor soul 4 hours on the phone with them.  And if you find suitable modelines lateron you can post them there too.

I don't think it's an LMCE problem because the flashing occurs at boot.  Boot splash, BIOS, Post, etc.

I am using hdmi - hdmi from my abit anm2hd to sharp aquos 42 Lc64du  at 1080p and its working fine.

Yeah, HDMI>HDMI works fine, problem is that the Asus b202 doesn't have HDMI, only DVI

It might be worth noting that I had problems with a blank screen using DVI->HDMI adapter with a Pioneer LX-5080 as well. Using a different adapter helped to sort things out (the original ATI adapter worked fine.)

I thought it might be the cable at first as well, I tried two different cables (Belkin and Radio Shack), both with the same results on the Sharp and both worked fine on other TV brands.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 09:44:32 pm »
Im using my eeebox connected to a Panasonic 50" plasma using a DVI->HDMI cable. (Its a converter cable, not dongle + hdmi cable)

I have flicker when booting (as long as the kernel is in text-mode) which is probably related to that my plasma cannot sync correctly.

All other resolutions that is enabled in lmce (AVWizard) by default work out of the box.
720p, 1080p work without problem.
Have not foudna way to pixelmap 1366x768 yet though.

Since the eeebox can output 1080p and my plasma accept it, it must mean that asus/intel have implemented hdcp. Otherwise 720p would be max resolution.

DVI and HDMI is electrically identical so you lcd should accept the signal.

The only differences I can see with yours and my setup is the cable.

Do some more research on your lcd.
Is there others that have succeded in using a dvi->hdmi converter to attach a computer to the lcd you have.
I see no real reason why it should not work.
It´s probably a modeline issue?

You did not mention if you ever see a picture?
You should at least the eeebox logo when the box start.

/niz23

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 09:46:31 pm »
Take a look at this,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database#Sharp_LC-46X20E

It might be of some help to you.

/niz23

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:19:50 pm »
Since the eeebox can output 1080p and my plasma accept it, it must mean that asus/intel have implemented hdcp. Otherwise 720p would be max resolution.

niz, what does HDCP have to do with 1080p?

rgds
Oliver

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:34:32 pm »
Possy, some TV's only allow use of 1080p _IF_ a complete HDCP handshake has been done between the TV and the other device.. Otherwise, the content is downscaled.

Bullshit, really. but such is DRM.

-Thom

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 10:44:54 pm »
Interesting.

It was my understanding (from all the HDMI reading i have done) that the media player would look at the HDCP handshake to determine what is being sent over the link.

Thanks Thom.

rgds
Oliver

patmankn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 12:29:04 pm »
Dale_K,

to get a proper modeline runnning, i installed a "little xp" setup and let the new Nvidia driver do the setup.
Afterwards i copied the setting in the Advanced setup and put that into my xorg.conf.

mybe this is of help: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=6353.msg38613#msg38613

Yours,

Patrick
Hybrid: MSI MS-7329,Nvidia 6150 onboard,AMD BE-2400,2gb RAM,Sharp Aqous LE 37X20E via MD Zotoc Ion Synergy,Terratec 1200 & Cinergy DT USB Diversity DVB-T, KNC ONE TV-Station DVB-C,WebDT366,Fiire Chief http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/User:Patmankn

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 05:49:39 pm »
Since you are using the DVI out on the eee box did have you tried going into the AV wizard and once the screen goes black hit "1" then enter. Anytime I use a DVI connection my screen shows the boot process then goes black the first time, it was explained to me that the AV wizard always defaults to VGA output, and when you hit "1" while in setup it tells it to use the DVI output.
Maybe you already tried this, but I thought I would post anyway.

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 09:24:20 pm »
Update on this:

I have now tried 4 different brands of DVI>HDMI cables and every modeline I could find that even hinted that it worked with Sharp.

All have same result, picture is displayed fine but flashes black.  I've just given up and put my Fiire invisible on this TV and moved the Asus box to my Sony TV where it works fine.

I'm anxious to get an Asus eee B206 box as it has an HDMI port and dedicated graphics but Asus says they won't be released in the US until about March 09.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 10:35:04 am »
DaleK,

I will wait for nVidia ION based products.
They will use less than 20W of power during full load at the same time you get an
9400 based mobile GPU that will support the new video decode APIs that nVidia is building.

Basically a very powerful media player device.

See, http://www.nvidia.com/object/sff_ion.html

/niz23

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 12:49:59 pm »
DaleK,

I will wait for nVidia ION based products.
They will use less than 20W of power during full load at the same time you get an
9400 based mobile GPU that will support the new video decode APIs that nVidia is building.

Basically a very powerful media player device.

See, http://www.nvidia.com/object/sff_ion.html

/niz23

Just such a shame that it will probably be next to useless for us non-windows users...
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous