Author Topic: Pairing Z-Wave devices without a Z-Wave Remote/ Control Center  (Read 13814 times)

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Pairing Z-Wave devices without a Z-Wave Remote/ Control Center
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 12:02:36 am »
Hallo Hari,

is the remote put in configuration mode? (small switch besides usb plug)

That was the info I was missing :) I did not find the manual yesterday on the TrickleStar homepage - probably was to tired ;)
I added that to the wiki - so that the next one won't trap into that also.

send the "download configuration" command to the z-wave interface.
press and hold "up" until it goes green and the press "up" again shortly.
That worked too - in the Wiki it is described the other way around - that did not work for me. But I also forget to do the quick reload first time I tried. So maybe the wiki way also works. But I added your way of doing it to the wiki too ;)

So far so good. The remote already knew the zwave dimmer so it popped up in the Wizard/devices/Lights after some quick reloads (that linuxmce wanted me to do). So I did not add that one after the remote was added - it was added together with the remote in "download configuration".

So now I would like to add a on/off switch with the remote. I got the remote into green blinking mode (is that called SIS mode/SIS insert mode/ ... ?) and added the switch with a press on the switch button. The remote went green steady and i did a quick reload on the core.

But no switch came up ... even tried to reload two more times (IIRC).

So I sent the "download configuration" command again and brought the remote into green blinking mode. And after two quick reloads (one there was assumed reading the wiki and one that linuxmce told me to do because it found new devices). And now the switch shows up :)

So it does not automagically show up on my system !? I can live with that but it would be nice if it worked like it should ;)

Greetings
Viking

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 12:18:33 am »
Hi again,

after playing a little with my lamps, I just had to say this. Wow - I really like what linuxmce can do with lightning :D
Can't wait until my Motion Detector and door alarm arrives from England ;)

Good job Hari and all the others helping with LinuxMCE.

Greetings
Viking

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 01:22:31 am »
they do automatically show up but you have to pair a reset dongle with a reset remote.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 03:11:54 am »
hi,

A the days go by I've been more and more loosing hope of my zwave devices working as I'm struggling to find someone who will ship direct to South Africa. 

From the way this thread is going I take it since I don't have a remote, I might aswell throw my ZCU201 in the bin? Because I don't mind even trying 810 alpha if there's hope?

Best regards

Sam

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 06:55:35 pm »
Hi Hari,
they do automatically show up but you have to pair a reset dongle with a reset remote.

Sorry, but I don't understand what that means !?

Greetings
Viking

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 07:43:45 pm »
you have to reset the dongle and the remote.

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 09:58:21 pm »
Hi Hari,

Ok, found how to reset the remote in the 200zw manual. And the USB Stick I have to send the command "reset" I assume.

How can I test that ?
I have only got two zwave devices at the moment and they are already included ;) Can I just delete them in the Webinterface below lightning ? Probably not from what I have read.

And what happens if I move a zwave device to another room. Can I just change the room description and move it to the new room in the room plan ? The 200ZW manual says that one should  "first Exclude it from the network, then Include it back to the network after you have re-located it.".

The 200ZW manual tells how to exclude things :

Excluding Devices from a Network
1. Put the Configuration Switch in “Configuration Mode”.
2. Press-and-hold “Up” Operation button for 2 seconds to enter Configuration Mode. LED Indicator will illuminate Green.
3. Short-press the “Down” Operation Button one time to put the device into Exclusion Mode.
4. Press the Exclusion Initiator of the Device to be Excluded (normally the same button as the Inclusion Initiator).
5. LED Indicator on the Remote will illuminate Green when device is successfully excluded and illuminate Red if the operation is unsuccessful.
Repeat steps 2-5 for each Device to be Excluded from the Network.

But what then afterwards ? Send command "download configuration" ? Or also reset both devices ?

Thanks a lot that you take the time to answer :)
I will "reward it" by updating the wiki accordingly so the next will know what to do.

Greetings
Viking

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 10:32:25 pm »
Ok, found how to reset the remote in the 200zw manual. And the USB Stick I have to send the command "reset" I assume.
your assumptions should be correct.

How can I test that ?
follow the steps?

I have only got two zwave devices at the moment and they are already included ;) Can I just delete them in the Webinterface below lightning ? Probably not from what I have read.
no, you really should exclude them. Always. Ever.

And what happens if I move a zwave device to another room. Can I just change the room description and move it to the new room in the room plan ? The 200ZW manual says that one should  "first Exclude it from the network, then Include it back to the network after you have re-located it.".
Prolly they have good reason if they write it into the manual :-) Z-Wave is a mesh. The routing table is updated at inclusion/exclusion. When you move stuff around without following the procedure (except portable devices like remote controllers) you can get network problems.

The 200ZW manual tells how to exclude things :

But what then afterwards ? Send command "download configuration" ? Or also reset both devices ?
after that? Yes reset both devices, download to the dongle and then add your devices at their final location.

best regards,
Hari

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 12:37:13 am »
Hi Hari,

OK, thanks a lot for the infos - now I am a lot more informed about Z-Wave :)

I will test it one of the day and tell if it works :) I am now into planning and doing other things in my new house - such as New Bathroom and other more or less interesting things ;)

Greetings
Viking

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 12:48:54 am »
Hi Hari,

after finishing a lot in my house ;) I had time to test exclusion and re-inclusion. It does not seem to need an reset of the USB dongle and the remote !? It only works if I follow the old instructions and just do a reload of the router. I get an Orbiter message telling if inclusion or exclusion was successful.

I have updated the wiki so that it now also includes the "how to exclude" part.

Thanks for your work on the driver :)

Greetings
Viking