Author Topic: Serial-Controlled Plug 'n' Play TVs  (Read 4049 times)

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
Serial-Controlled Plug 'n' Play TVs
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:09:11 am »
Hi all,

Had a quick look on the wiki, but couldn't find anything.

Is there a definitive list anywhere of TVs that are plug'n'play from the serial point of view? Or would anybody like to share their experiences here?

As you've probably guessed, I'm in the market for a new TV at the moment.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

marvinrox

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Serial-Controlled Plug 'n' Play TVs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:31:20 am »
Hi

Can only comment on 0710. I have an LG LCD TV with RS-232 port. If there is not a template already available to use, the manual that comes with the TV lists all the serial codes available to control it. 

I found plenty of info in the wiki and the forums - that's how I got mine to work. It really was as straight forward as suggested - and I'm a total noob.

- I think I lucked out because I had a USB-Serial adapter using the PL2303 driver (Prolific), which is documented as known to work with LMCE.

Mark
C/H - Asus M2N68-VM, AMD AM2 5200+, 4Gb Kingston (2x2), 500Gb SATA, Gigabit LAN card, DVICO DD4, DNS-343, LG LCD, BenQ DLP

maybeoneday

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:57:42 am »
hi purps,

I'm running a sharp Aquos LC46X20E with no (minor) probs,

BE CAREFULL.... not all aquos models have the r232c connector AND other manufacturer's models may have a "service  connector" which you may not be able to use for control   ,

hth,
Ian

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:32:04 pm »
Cheers chaps.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:11:00 pm »
Hi

Can only comment on 0710. I have an LG LCD TV with RS-232 port. If there is not a template already available to use, the manual that comes with the TV lists all the serial codes available to control it. 

I found plenty of info in the wiki and the forums - that's how I got mine to work. It really was as straight forward as suggested - and I'm a total noob.

- I think I lucked out because I had a USB-Serial adapter using the PL2303 driver (Prolific), which is documented as known to work with LinuxMCE.

Mark

I have tried numerous times and been unable to get my LG working, despite the codes being the same as other LG LCD's from other templates.  The Serial port works because I have used it for X-10 controller in testing.  I have tried both Null modem and straight through cables.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:20:39 am »
techstyle,
I also have an LG and evertime I start from scratch with a new MD image i have to run minicom and send some commands, or do a hard shutdown (powerdown and leave the MD off for at least 10sec) before the serial port will communicate properly. You might give it a go.
-Krys

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:23:10 am »
the LGs are a bit picky about stuff on RTS/CTS. Use a cable with only RX,TX and GND connected to get relief..

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation