Author Topic: No video when playing back  (Read 3402 times)

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
No video when playing back
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:27 pm »
Hi...

Just one question: When I play a video, I hear the sound, but I can't see anything.
When I change to desktop one, where the regular kde-desktop is, I can change to the 'orbiter-playback'-window - THEN I can see the video but I can't control it. Of course, when I change back to desktop five (mce-desktop), I can just hear the sound again.

What have I done previously? I plugged my pc from my network to anotherone (from a hotel). After the restart he asked me for a detected fileserver (I think, that it was after the restart).

Please help me  -  I'm going down right now   ;)

Scyth

PS: I hope, that I don't have to reinstall it... 

Edit: Similar problem with the screensaver - I have to change the focus of the windows to see the screensaver, but with F1 I cant reach the controls .
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:00:17 pm by Scyth »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: No video when playing back
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:27:40 am »
Can you log in remotely and try this command while playing video:
Code: [Select]
DISPLAY=:0 wmctrl -r pluto-xine-playback-window -b add,above
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:15:57 pm »
Hi!

Thanks for your anwer...

But what do mean by 'remotely'? You think of logging from another pc? Or just by entering it into the console?

By the way: The question for installing a file-server, "device: Windows share" (an there is absolutely no windows, not even in the whole house) is popping up constantly.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:33:38 pm by Scyth »

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:39:41 pm »
All right - I entered your command in the console during playback. Effect: The focus, previously on the console, changed to the playback-window. So far, so good, but: I couldn't get back to the menu by pressing F1 (altough the symbol for the help-menu appeared for one second), and I could'nt change the window by pressing alt+tab (although I saw the 'change window' dialogue on the screen).

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 03:33:33 am »
We're seeing the same thing with UI2 in the alpha releases currently, and one other person has reported this under 0710 before.  Would be nice to get an idea what is wrong or what exactly changed on your system but other then that I'm affraid you're better off reinstalling.
-- Anonymous

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 10:14:47 am »
Allright, I can tell you that... (fortunately I installed mce just a few days ago - so I know every (major) change and the data loss is quite near to zero)

- external hdd was added via usb followed by installation and restart. After that I removed it again (after that change nothing happened)
- when I traveled to vienna I were in hotel. There they had an internet access (for free, a very well equipped hotel). Because I have a static IP at home (I use a router), I manually changed "interfaces" and "resolv.conf" to dhcp. After that I got access to the net and mce found the mentioned fileserver.
After I confirmed the fileserver I reloaded mce. From now on mce had the descriped malfunction.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 03:55:20 am »
if you haven't wiped your system yet, you could try to only reinstall the pluto-skins-basic package, either apt-get install --reinstall pluto-skins-basic or dpkg -i /usr/pluto/deb-cache/pluto-skins-basic_2.0.0.44.0804112200_i386.deb should do the trick.
-- Anonymous

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:32:43 pm »
I already did  ;)

- but I will writhe down your tip, thank you

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:50:34 pm »
Under 0704 and 0710, this problem was caused when Alpha blended UI was selected, and the xcompmgr did not load. The easiest way to fix is to re-run the AVWizard.. try running it masked first ,then switch back to alpha.

-Thom