Author Topic: Pictures?  (Read 11246 times)

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Pictures?
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:40:31 am »
Hi,
I have a NAS with a bunch of pictures.  How do I configure Linux MCE to see my /media/pictures directory on my NAS?  It did seem to find my audio, by way of finding the windows share it is configured as.  The pictures directory is directly parallel to my music directory, but I don't see them.  I see under "media files sync" there are directories configured under /home/public/data, how do I add a path to my NAS?  I see it under /mnt/device/37/

Thanks

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:19:43 am »
In media files sync, check under other.  My second hard drive is listed under there.  Perhaps your NAS is there too.

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:57:39 am »
Yes I can browse to my pictures through the web page, under the "other" subdirectory.  Problem is they don't appear when selecting the "Pictures" item from the orbiter, though the directory is set as "LinuxMCE Pictures".  It only will display /home/public/data/pictures.  Looking at the media scenarios and choosing "pictures", it is defined to "show file list" of type 7.   My music is in a parallel directory next to pictures, and linuxmce can see those through "audio" menu selection. 
How do you define what directory is seen when you select "pictures" from the media menu on an orbiter?

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:43:23 am »
I don't think  the pictures menu is working ATM

My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:02:10 pm »
You should choose the LMCE (or pluto) directory structure (or whatever it is called) and not "Public".  Then move your files under the "pictures" (or videos or audio, etc) subdirectories.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 06:23:34 am »
You should choose the LMCE (or pluto) directory structure (or whatever it is called) and not "Public".  Then move your files under the "pictures" (or videos or audio, etc) subdirectories.

I have my pictures on a NAS (Dlink DNS-323) that is configured raid1, so I can minimize my chances of losing them.  At  no point do I want them in a single disk.  I also have this drive backed up to a separate partition on the network nightly (photography hobbyist).  So I would really prefer they remain where they are.

I found this finally:  http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/How_are_media_files_organized%3F

I see at the bottom how it instructs you to create a symlink to where your media is to see it, under the /home/public/data.  So I made a symlink to /mnt/device/37/Media/My Pictures/ under /home/public/data/pictures/.   I only wonder if the number "37" ever changes and gets re-assigned. 

I also see it says linuxmce should have made these symlinks automatically, but that didn't work for me.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 07:24:11 am »
If it didn't, this means that permissions with the NAS are incorrect.

You should _NEVER_ make the symlinks yourself because LMCE manages all storage devices.

-Thom

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 08:06:48 am »
So if I make the permissions on the NAS such that they are correct (I assume I use the same login as I use with the admin page), do I need to force linuxMCE to catalog the media (since it is already discovered), or should it on it's own?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:44 pm »
It should do it on its own. Also make sure your share name does not contain any spaces.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 08:08:27 pm »
That outdated wiki page you're refering to has been slightly updated.  As Thom says, never mess with the symlinks, that only ends in tears.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 04:19:48 am »
It should do it on its own. Also make sure your share name does not contain any spaces.

-Thom

Ok I did delete the manually created symlinks from the pictures dir.

I'm still not able to get any pictures to display.  Here is what I see:
-My mp3 collection is in a parallel directory to my pictures on the same share, and see all my music when selecting "audio" from the media menu.
-When browsing my share under public/data/other under media sync I see all my pictures directories on the NAS, with a checkbox next to them like they are in the database.  But all I see when selecting pictures from the media menu is "flickr", no pictures. 
- I do not either my audio or pictures as a symlink created anywhere under home/public/data/audio or /pictures, yet I can see audio.  (but no pictures).

I also did a full resynchronize in the media sync page for /home/public/data, then did a quickload router, and regen orbiter, no luck.  It seems like if the pictures are showing up as being in the database, that they should be showing up in the pictures menu?

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 03:58:20 am »
Has anyone got pictures to display from a NAS?

krippler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 05:52:18 am »
Assuming I understand you correctly, what you are trying to do is not currently possible.

This is because when viewing pictures from orbiter, you can only sort them via "Filename". This means you can browse the pictures from the /home/public/data/pictures directory and only see pictures immediately in this directory and its sub-directories even if they have been catalogued. You will notice the exact same behaviour for your video and audio files if you sort by Filename. However, for video and audio files you have the option of sorting based on other criteria(ie. Title) which allow you to see all catalogued files.

I havnt a clue how it might be done but perhaps the other sort options can be made available for pictures in the future.
Until then, you have only 2 options:
1. As Zaerc said, use the LMCE directory structure on the NAS and move all the media files into the appropriate directories. The files would remain on the NAS so this shouldnt affect your RAID1 setup. And if your nightly network backup is of the entire NAS(with all directories and files), it should continue working just as it is. Thus, preserving the same level or redundancy you have now.
or
2. This option is not recommended, as Thom mentioned, but you can manually create a symlink to the pictures on the NAS in the /home/public/data/pictures directory and hope that nothing breaks. At the very least this will create duplicate entries in the database and possibly cause other problems.

Good luck

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 06:00:26 am »
it WILL cause what you mention...until UpdateMedia gets rid of the symlink...although the duplicate file entries will still be in the database.

-Thom

drjenk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 11:52:39 pm »
use the LMCE directory structure on the NAS and move all the media files into the appropriate directories. The files would remain on the NAS so this shouldnt affect your RAID1 setup.

Ok I thought Zaerc meant move the files to the core, but I guess not.  I am a little confused by how to make what he said happen.  Currently my pictures directory the NAS is \\share\Media\My Pictures, and I see it currently under linuxmce media sync screen at /home/public/data/other/share/Media/My Pictures.  I do see there are directories /home/pluto/, and /home/linuxmce/.  How do I "choose" one of these directories, and still have my pictures residing on the NAS, so that they appear when I select "pictures" on the orbiter?  Do you mean put a symlink under one of these directories instead (which I assume should not cause the problems mentioned when creating symlinks under the public directory)?

Thanks