Author Topic: A couple of orbiter problems - bugs? bad config?  (Read 18167 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
A couple of orbiter problems - bugs? bad config?
« on: March 02, 2006, 10:54:02 am »
Hi,

I got a couple of problems that persisted since 0.31... haven't seen these discussed anywhere so I'm thinking they might be local to my config... any ideas?

1. The letter buttons in media file lists jump to the selected item at the top of the media tree, instead of the currently viewed directory.

2. The music player doesn't display mp3 tags (it only shows file names) even though the tags are in the database.

TIA, Itai

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 11:26:46 am »
the media file list letter buttons are doing a filter playlist:
if you want to find song starting from letter ... to z
it's not a bug, it's the desidered behaviour

the id3 tags from an mp3 should be read from file and added to db, so when you press atrib. button from music remote you'll get a list with all info

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 12:45:19 pm »
Hi Dan, thanks for the reply.

Quote from: "dan.g"
the media file list letter buttons are doing a filter playlist:
if you want to find song starting from letter ... to z
it's not a bug, it's the desidered behaviour

I'm not sure why this behavior would be desired... say I got two directories under /home/public/data/videos, called 'movies' and 'TV'. The movies directory has a couple of hundred movies in it. In the orbiter, I click on 'movies' - and then, rather than scroll or jump down 20 screens to get to the movie I want, I just click the first letter in the movie's name. The desired behavior IMO would be that the list would jump to the neighbourhood of that movie... but instead it jumps back to show 'movies' and 'TV'. Does this really make sense to you?

Or are you implying that the intended way of organizing media is to put everything in a single directory... 800 video files under videos/, 4000 mp3 files under music/... say it isn't so...

the id3 tags from an mp3 should be read from file and added to db, so when you press atrib. button from music remote you'll get a list with all info

Yes, the tags are showing on the attrib. screen... but why aren't you using them instead of file names in the remote display? Who even cares about music file names... my iPod, the MythTV music plugin, practically every mp3 playback program out there displays songs by tags. And with file name display only, unless I start adding the artist and album names to the file names, I have to click attrib. just to see what album I'm listening to...

Any chance that something will be changed in this area?

Thanks, Itai

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 01:20:52 pm »
say I got two directories under /home/public/data/videos, called 'movies' and 'TV'. The movies directory has a couple of hundred movies in it. In the orbiter, I click on 'movies' - and then, rather than scroll or jump down 20 screens to get to the movie I want, I just click the first letter in the movie's name.

yes this is happening now
The desired behavior IMO would be that the list would jump to the neighbourhood of that movie... but instead it jumps back to show 'movies' and 'TV'. Does this really make sense to you?
not quite sure what you mean

Or are you implying that the intended way of organizing media is to put everything in a single directory... 800 video files under videos/, 4000 mp3 files under music/... say it isn't so...

no, you don't need to put all 400 mp3's directly under music, you can create/organize directorie as you want

but why aren't you using them instead of file names in the remote display?

we use that tag for performer and track to display the info on remote.
we use the file name when these tags are not present

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 10:33:37 am »
Hi Dan,

Sorry for deserting the thread for so long - life got in the way...

My experience with two Pluto systems, using a Hybrid, a dedicated MD and a web orbiter, is that the navigation is not working as you say it should, or as I think it should.

Imagine this setup:

Code: [Select]

music/
     | ABBA/
     | Carpenters/
     | Mark Knopfler/
     | Mike Oldfield/
     | Philip Glass/
     | Queen/
     | Suzanne Vega/
                   | 99.9F/
                   | Days of Open Hand/
                   | Solitude Standing/
                   | Suzanne Vega/
                   | Nine Objects Of Desire/
                   | Songs_In_Red_And_Gray/

I select 'music' on an orbiter. The orbiter displays:

ABBA
Carpenters
Mark Knopfler
Mike Oldfield
Philip Glass
Queen
Suzanne Vega

I click 'S'. The orbiter displays:

Queen
Suzanne Vega

I click on 'Suzanne vega'. The orbiter displays:

<--Back (..)-Suzanne Vega
99.9F
Days of Open Hand
Nine Objects Of Desire
Solitude Standing
Suzanne Vega
Songs_In_Red_And_Gray

All good until now. Now I click 'S'. I expect to get:

Nine Objects Of Desire
Solitude Standing
Suzanne Vega
Songs_In_Red_And_Gray

But what I really get is:

Queen
Suzanne Vega

So is this expected, or is something wrong here?

Thanks, Itai

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:15:31 pm »
Bump...

Sorry to bump the thread without any new info, but this is really annoying... I'm seeing this behavior now with a clean install of 2.0.0.39.

Can any Pluto users please comment on this... are you seeing the same behavior as me, and do you agree that it's wrong - or am I just missing something obvious?

TIA, Itai

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 11:50:12 am »
But what I really get is:

Code:

Queen
Suzanne Vega

yes, this is the disered result. it's by design.
it's not really a search it's a seek.
so it will find any song that starts with S (and others after S, but it will show you another one --you have Queen-- in font of S)