Author Topic: Screen jumble up and to wide at setup  (Read 4042 times)

Croney69

• View Profile
Screen jumble up and to wide at setup
« on: December 09, 2008, 02:28:17 am »
First of all, I am new to Lunix. ;D  I was looking for something to run on my media pc to watch videos while using a remote. I know windows and therefore used Vista Media Center which was too heavy for the PC so I am using Windows Xp Media Center 2005, which work ok, but I am looking for something that is light and will run fast. I found LunixMCE and I am trying to install it on my main system using Virtual PC 2007 to see how well it will work and if it will work with my remote. 8)
I was able to install the Lunix MCE DVD but I am getting a problem setting the display. I have tried all the settings but the display is very long, tin and jumble up like the Hz need to be set.  The screen to select the video settings do not show the Hz as it is well out of the display. I do not understand why this is happening as I have a 22 inch monitor. I have also plug a 15 inch monitor in and reinstall it but the same thing happens. >:( :'(
Am I missing something or have I done something wrong? ???

See the attach image.

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Screen jumble up and to wide at setup
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 03:43:08 am »
Maybe the virtual system isn't giving enough control over the video to LMCE. At best you may be able to get away with UI1, but if that doesn't work, then I'd say it's because LMCE doesn't like the 'virtual' environment. Lord knows it's fussy even on a standalone box!

Croney69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:47:47 pm »
Yea that could be the problem but I am unable to set the UI as I am still at the first option to select the video card in the setup phase.  :'(

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 05:54:34 pm »
Yea that could be the problem but I am unable to set the UI as I am still at the first option to select the video card in the setup phase.  :'(

Right, so perhaps you should try running LMCE in a standalone environment...

Croney69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 06:53:38 pm »
LOL  ;D I know that you were going to go there.

I am intending to use it on a the Media PC but I would like it see it in action before bringing down the PC.

I was looking around today and found XBMC Media Center. I will also try to take a look at it.

Croney69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 01:19:10 pm »
The problem was Virtual PC.  ;DI installed VMware and I was able to install LunixMCE with no problems. The only thing is that when all is done and it restarts, it is asking for a user name and password. As this will be Media PC with no keyboard or Mouse what do I do?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 04:28:32 pm »
Please, do not install this in a virtual machine. I'm trying very hard to be nice here... It simply will not work.

-Thom

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:41:45 pm »
2nd this,
 Unless you have a solid experience with virtual machines and know the install process for lmce well, you'll have no joy. In fact a virtual machine can be used as a dedicated core, but for a media PC just don't bother as you get no graphics acceleration and media playback will be very limited.

Croney69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 06:00:39 pm »
Yes I understand, but my intention was to see what it look like and if I would like the interface. The Media PC that I am using is a pc in every way, just small. see link to Intel D945GCLF2 kit http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D945GCLF2-kit?sc=8&category=100 . The VMware is on my main system which is a Quad core Duel 2  2.4  Vista64 4GB DDR2 and a core was delegated to Lunix in Vmware.

The LunixMCE worked and I was able to complete the wizard but after all was done I was return to a prompt  to enter User name and password then I got a linux prompt "$". I just wanted to know what should be done now or because of Vmware this is happening. If there is a nother step, then I would like to proseed to see what happens if not, then I would move along.

I do not see why you would say
I'm trying very hard to be nice here...
as I mentioned I an new to Linux and was only seeking help.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »
I do not see why you would say
I'm trying very hard to be nice here...
as I mentioned I an new to Linux and was only seeking help.

Thom is telling you that you won't have success running LMCE in the virtual environment.

You can try to fiddle and goof around all you want but you won't have success.

There, now I've said it twice in this message.

That means STOP what you're doing. It ain't gonna work!