Author Topic: IR codes sent to wrong device?  (Read 2925 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
IR codes sent to wrong device?
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:12:19 pm »
I just switched out my core and have been trying to get back to where I was. Here is a general Idea of the layout
Core- Device 19
MD- device 41
USBUIRT- device 104
Sony Reciever-device 105

Now I set up the device template just like last time, when I add the device it shows up on the admin site, in the right room under control of device 104. However, when I am in the A/V properties screen where you set up and test the IR codes for device 105 (reciever) I put a code (using the learn feature) and click "test" the pop up window says that the code was sent to device 104, and nothing happens on the reciever....

From device 105 screen in the admin site if I click on advanced, then hit "send command to this device" there are 5 options that I can send, vol up, vol down, mute, power on, power off. If I select one of these and hit send message, it sends to the reciever and works as it should.

The only thing I can guess is from the A/V screen it is sending the command to device 104 and it isnt working, from the advanced screen it is sending the command to device 105 and it is working. I dont know if this is the reason, but I cant think of anything else, this setup worked just fine with my other core so I am not sure what the problem is. I have deleted the all the devices and started over with the same result.

Should the command be sent to the IR device # or the Reciever device #, is there a way to change which device the code is sent to?

Also when I try to send the codes from the orbiter, I get the same no response from the reciever. The stereo does however respond to me selecting a video on the orbiter (since I set up an audio device pipe). when I click on a video, the stereo clicks on and when its been idle for a while it clicks off.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: IR codes sent to wrong device?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 05:45:53 pm »
I still cant get this to work as it had before, I went as far as deleting the entire MD image and starting from scratch. Here are my steps
1. fire up md let it build the image
2. during the setup with the lady on the screen I selected my AV reciever that I wanted to control via IR
3. selected my cable box that I wanted to control

if I go into the admin page, all of the devices show up, USB-UIRT, reciever, cable box
cable box and reciever are both set to be controlled by USB-UIRT

Still if I go into a/v properties on the sony receiver and click on test code I get the pop-up saying the code was sent but nothing happens at the reciever. If I go to advance under the sony receiver and select send command to device, and send the command that way the reciever responds.

any ideas?

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:57:09 pm »
If you are running an i386 MD or Core, have you done the steps here to enable the USB-UIRT to transmit under its own power?
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/USB-UIRT_x86_Fix#The_Spoiler:_Instant_Fix.21

Just a thought.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:14:10 pm »
guys....

Why don't you guys actually buy a Xantech 286 double emitter (or a connecting block and multiple emitters), to attach to the UIRT, so you don't have these problems?

-Thom

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:21:10 pm »
 :)
I did buy one of these at your recommendation. And it does work flawlessly, without the fix. But I didn't like the wires. However, I have not tried this yet, If I wish to put a device, I the adjoining room, ok you got me, its a vcr, the cable on the emitter is just long enough to reach the inside of the wall of where the vcr is placed, if I plug in the emitter, does it negate the on board transmitter? Kind of like the principle of the headphone jack, plug it in and it cuts off the mains?

I can certainly try this on my own, but before I pull my TV out of the wall, I was just curious if anyone has tried this. I have a 12ft AV cable attached to the back of the VCR, which has a coax to the TV, and I have not yet built a MD for this room. I would however like to pipe the VCR output into a pvr500 card, and share its output, throughout the house. My wife has quite the collection of Disney VCR movies, that are not yet available on DVD, and she would like to be able to watch them from anywhere there is currently an MD.

Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:23:21 pm by seth »
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 03:29:47 pm »
all emitters work constantly.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 03:40:50 pm »
i do have the emitter attached, my receiver does get commands, but only from the advanced button on the receiver device page on the admin site. The problem is its not getting the commands from the orbiter, or from the a/v properties button where you can click "test code"

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 04:32:56 pm »
the most common problem is that the device is not assigned to a room. Make sure the device is assigned to a room in Wizard > A/V Devices. You may also want to use the Connection Wizard in the a/v devices page to connect your A/V devices together.

-Thom