Author Topic: no video, KDM keeps auto-restarting, can't do anything!  (Read 2238 times)

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
no video, KDM keeps auto-restarting, can't do anything!
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:00:22 pm »
This is a fresh installation on a MSI K9N2G Neo motherboard.  I have both the VGA and HDMI connected to monitors.  It doesn't seem to detect the NVidia 8200, so I figured I'd set it to use "nv" or "vesa" for now in xorg.conf... only I can't get there!

It appears that KDM is automatically trying to reset itself after about 5 seconds, and I can't Ctrl+Alt+Fx to get to a screen (since KDM restarts before I finish logging in).  I finally was able to get a login prompt and try to sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop.... and it doesn't stop!

How the heck can I get it to stop?  It only seems to show the text on the VGA output.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: no video, KDM keeps auto-restarting, can't do anything!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:20:08 pm »
Before anyone asks, yes I read the sticky about black screen issues, and the DVI -> VGA adapter I have doesn't fit the motherboard.  It doesn't have the little pins around the - and my adapter does.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: no video, KDM keeps auto-restarting, can't do anything!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:35:07 pm »
Disregard, I thought I didn't have a recovery mode because my monitor was too slow to display it.  If I hit esc anyway it then pops up.