Author Topic: Firewire and NTSC Tuner Problems  (Read 2096 times)

lloydipp

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Firewire and NTSC Tuner Problems
« on: December 13, 2008, 03:57:46 am »
I came across LinuxMCE when I was between failed attempts at configuring MythTV completely. So far I am very impressed with the LinuxMCE project and all of its capabilities. I intend to use most of them, but right now I am working on a single hybrid for my family room.

I have two tuner cards at the moment: a dual tuner NTSC/ATSC/QAM Hauppauge HVR-1800 and a Sabrent Saa7134 V4L Tuner. In addition to that I am also using a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD over firewire.

The QAM tuner works fine. The cable box comes in perfectly over firewire, so far. The problem is the channel won't change on the cable box unless I manually change the channel.

The NTSC Tuners are configured as V4L
I setup:
   /dev/video0 as Tuner 0 (saa7134)*
   /dev/video1 as Tuner 1 (hvr-1800)*   
        /dev/video2 as Tuner 2 (hvr-1800)*

*Sometimes the hvr-1800 is video 0 and 1 otherwise it's 1 and 2

The video1 and video2 are the same tuner; from what I've read only video2 is selected in setup. I put in the video1 to see if any results were achieved.

I have been watching this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=785476
so yes, I have compiled the drivers

When cycling through tuners by pressing the "y" key, on tuner0 I get a blank screen, on tuner1, I get a multi-colored screen and on tuner2, mythtv crashes to the main menu.

If I've left out any details, or I was unclear in anything, please let me know. Keep in mind that I am still rather new to linux, especially Kubuntu (I used plain Ubuntu when working with standalone mythtv).

Sorry for the long post.

-Lloyd