Author Topic: Remote: what to buy  (Read 12221 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Remote: what to buy
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 05:54:17 pm »
*hmm*

Nobody reads, nobody pays attention.

There are dead keys on the remote. To get full support of this remote, Orbiter has to be extended to parse the raw HID packets coming off this remote to handle the keys that the kernel does not handle.

Damn it, I am getting very tired of explaining this!!!

-Thom

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 05:57:01 pm »
Guys, in an effort to keep Thom sane, please re-read what he wrote... In short, it looks like development activities will be needed to make this work. Thom has offered services to complete this...

UNi

• Veteran
  • Would you like Cheese with that Whine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 06:17:20 pm »
It will work as described in the wiki article only.  I also was able to program functions from my TV's IR remote into the Gyration, such as turning the power on and off and picking an input source.  There are directions that come with the remote that describe how.  I, myself, and satisfied with how it works with LMCE.

-UNi

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 06:20:00 pm »
Why don't you get an IR blaster such as the USB UIRT, and have LMCE actually control your AV devices instead of hacking them into the Gyration remote? You're doing it backwards!

-Thom

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 07:11:43 pm »
*hmm*

There are dead keys on the remote. To get full support of this remote, Orbiter has to be extended to parse the raw HID packets coming off this remote to handle the keys that the kernel does not handle.

-Thom

Thom,

I'm aware of the dead keys on the remote as I did read the article.  I accept the limitation as there is, for me, no better alternative.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 08:19:22 pm »
*hmm*

-Thom

Thom - is that info on the Wiki somewhere?

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 08:21:41 pm »
Why don't you get an IR blaster such as the USB UIRT, and have LinuxMCE actually control your AV devices instead of hacking them into the Gyration remote? You're doing it backwards!

-Thom

Meh, does it matter?  If you have a remote in your hand and press vol-up for example, does it really matter if the remote is sending to the TV or if LMCE gets the command and forwards it to the TV?  As long as you're only using one remote to control everything, and that remote isn't being carried from room to room, it seems like a fine solution to me.  Ok, so maybe LMCE can't automatically deal with inputs if you do it this way, but unless you have discreet input control on your TV I have found letting LMCE handle that is more hassle than it's worth.  If there isn't a template for your TV it's a bit of a hassle to setup.  Then there is the cost and appearance factor.  Why would anyone want to pay $50+ to have extra stuff near their TV and go through the setup just so they can press the same buttons and have the same results?

Or maybe I'm missing something?

Anthony_Molg

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 09:00:17 pm »
The gyration remotes will work if people will pay me to do the necessary driver work.

-Thom

Thom
   What would need to be done? How much would it cost to get you to help? I am sure there are a few people around willing to chip in a little.  :)

Anthony

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 09:24:07 pm »
Whatever floats your boat, bro. This system is capable of completely unifying your AV setup, no matter which remote is used, that's the bloody point, but, whatever.

-Thom

Why don't you get an IR blaster such as the USB UIRT, and have LinuxMCE actually control your AV devices instead of hacking them into the Gyration remote? You're doing it backwards!

-Thom

Meh, does it matter?  If you have a remote in your hand and press vol-up for example, does it really matter if the remote is sending to the TV or if LinuxMCE gets the command and forwards it to the TV?  As long as you're only using one remote to control everything, and that remote isn't being carried from room to room, it seems like a fine solution to me.  Ok, so maybe LinuxMCE can't automatically deal with inputs if you do it this way, but unless you have discreet input control on your TV I have found letting LinuxMCE handle that is more hassle than it's worth.  If there isn't a template for your TV it's a bit of a hassle to setup.  Then there is the cost and appearance factor.  Why would anyone want to pay $50+ to have extra stuff near their TV and go through the setup just so they can press the same buttons and have the same results?

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 09:52:56 pm »
Hi all,

working on a deal to get a few of these bad boys here as orbiters/music zone type scenario. At about $400 a pop.
Check it out... http://www.norhtec.com/products/touche/index.html
* Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day
*Teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 12:37:43 am »
Whatever floats your boat, bro. This system is capable of completely unifying your AV setup, no matter which remote is used, that's the bloody point, but, whatever.

-Thom

-Thom

Meh, does it matter?  If you have a remote in your hand and press vol-up for example, does it really matter if the remote is sending to the TV or if LinuxMCE gets the command and forwards it to the TV?  As long as you're only using one remote to control everything, and that remote isn't being carried from room to room, it seems like a fine solution to me.  Ok, so maybe LinuxMCE can't automatically deal with inputs if you do it this way, but unless you have discreet input control on your TV I have found letting LinuxMCE handle that is more hassle than it's worth.  If there isn't a template for your TV it's a bit of a hassle to setup.  Then there is the cost and appearance factor.  Why would anyone want to pay $50+ to have extra stuff near their TV and go through the setup just so they can press the same buttons and have the same results?

That's how I have it setup, but some people have a more simple setup and if it works for them then it's not necessarily backwards.  To be completely honest, the whole USBUIRT thing doesn't work well with my TV.  The IR from the remote messes with the IR from the USBUIRT so volume control doesn't work.  In testing I covered up the remote and USBUIRT receiver leaving the remote USBUIRT sending unit over the TV's IR receiver and volume works fine so I know it's interference.  It's been confirmed by others when I first asked, so it's not just me.  Plus using my GoMouse, volume control is fine.  In my case, I'm doing it the LMCE way, but the more simple solution of programming the remote to send the TV vol control would work better.  No, I'm not going to completely cover my IR receiver on my TV, the TV has semi-discrete inputs and LMCE gets all confused so I just use the TV remote whenever I want to swap inputs. 

The problem comes down to the fact not everyone has the same hardware, some works well, some doesn't.  Some people have complicated setups where LMCE really shines, other people have simple setups where doing something the LMCE way is more $$, more setup, and no additional functionality (or even less).  Personally I'm trying to do everything by the book, but it doesn't always work out well as in my TV example above.  Another issue is that IMHO, IR sucks.  Now that I actually have a working LMCE setup, I will be trying to keep new purchases LMCE happy.  Things like a supported TV and A/V equipment with serial/usb controls.  Until then, I'm stuck making compromises.