Author Topic: Multiple users vs DVB-S/T  (Read 2624 times)

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Multiple users vs DVB-S/T
« on: December 05, 2008, 08:25:58 am »
Hi, have so many questions.(sorry)

I have been reading alot, searching alot and I get more and more confused about how to set things up if you have multiple users wanting to watch different DVB-S or DVB-T channels.
I know about the hw restrictions of having a need for many LNB's but what I do not understand is how is this working right now in LMCE.

In case I have multiple DVB-S cards in the Core and multiple LNB's and that thing sorted.
 Can my son watch one channel in his room and me watching one thing in the living room?
I read somewhere that multiple DVB-S or T cards in the core currently may not be supported/working?

So how have you guys set this up? (been looking at some of your setups but cannot get an answer on How things are tied together and how it is working)

-johan

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple users vs DVB-S/T
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:52:28 am »
Hi Johan,

LMCE does all the streaming for you. So, if you have a core in and two MDs connected to it. All MDs can make use of the tuner within the core (It is best to have the tuner cards in the core, if you stick with MythTV you can also put them into a MD).

In my setup, I have a Hauppauge PVR-500 (double tuner) and a Hauppauge PVR-150 (single tuner) in the core, so I have three tuners available in the whole house. If a MD requests a channel LMCE automagically decides which tuner will be used and does all the streaming. For my setup this means I have three tuner and they are available on every MD or for Recordings. If you have configured your cards properly, this is a cakewalk.

To avoid any problems on your side, best is to go with a Haupauge PVR 150/250/500, they are Plug'n'Play and are really easy to setup. Have a look at the wiki for some more information (supported Hardware, MythTV configuration, etc.)

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Video_capture_cards
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/MythTV

eNoodle

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 12:10:49 pm »
Ok, thanks for clearing that out.

Do I really need a PVR card or will the same functionality(automagically) be there for the Nova-T cards? reason is that the PVR cards I can find are only analog and we don't have analog transmissions in sweden anymore.
I guess this also applies to supported DVB-S cards that it automagically decides and finds what DVB-S card to use(?)

I found one post where Nite_man says that he uses Cam so I guess then that it should be supported as well?

-johan

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 06:50:34 pm »
With DVB you can access all the channels on a single mux at the same time, so at most you will need as much tuners as you want to watch channels on different mux-es simultaneously.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 09:26:17 pm »
ah, yes. how could I Forget that.. thanks for the reminder.
 This means that I only need one card to stream to all media devices.  :)
Excellent! and not so expensive as I once started to think(at least for dvb-t)

-johan