Author Topic: back again:Slow Orbiter, N810. Network or Core issue?  (Read 3575 times)

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
back again:Slow Orbiter, N810. Network or Core issue?
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:58:48 am »
Hi, after a few days of trying to get the root cause found I have to ask here.

Lmce is now setup as should be and as recommended. I use Core/hybrid and an N810 setup as an orbiter. I noticed however that it since the last sw update with the exit button thingy that the orbiter now is Really slow(I have had it working and being faster before)..

For example when from the start view pressing Video, it takes up to 6 seconds sometimes even more before it finally shows the video's.
Then when pressing the Option(to do filtering) it takes another 6-xx seconds. When pressing Go another 6-xx seconds.
This behaviour is constant. However it seem that when a movie for example is started I can press the >>| button and it instantly skips to the next chapter.

From the Startpage I have also noticed that when pressing the LMCE button (lowest to the left)  it takes long time before the next page occurs, but pressing Home from that screen(applies to other pages as well) goes instantly.

I have made pingtests from and to the orbiter and the RTT(roundtriptime) is around 20ms. Not bad I think.
Tried changing the frame interval in advanced(lmce admin, orbiter) no change in behaviour.
My feeling is (after watching the core interface led and hdd led) is that the orbiter is not sending the command instantly. But waiting.. which is weird.

Did some Tcpdump on the eth interface in the core and found that for some reason I do not get realtime update when doing that.. sometimes I can see traffic and sometimes not(when going to different pages in the orbiter)
Even when there Should be traffic on the eth interface, the tcpdump doesn't output it so I don't really trust it or should I ?
I found that making a tcpdump on the lo interface(looback) is more reliable.

What can be the issue? has anyone else noticed similar behaviour?

->BTW, when clicking the ping every 5 seconds in the lmce admin, orbiter setup as instructed in the wiki. I cannot get the N810 to load. It always stops at a pink screen saying user.. something in the top. Then when unclicking that box(5 sec ping) it starts to work(after full regen and router reset) but very slow..

Br
Johan

edit. changed the title to a more describing one
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:10:04 pm by johanr »

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Orbiter, N810. Network or Core issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:40:51 pm »
Now I realised what the name for the topic should be. Slow Orbiter navigation..
well

I dunno more what to do.
Started the Orbiters sw in the 810 via konsol and looked at the debug. Could not really find anything specific there. Don't know what to look for either.

Navigation is just a pain.. and it doesn't look like it's related to the Core. What should I do?

Br
Johan

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Orbiter, N810. Network or Core issue?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 01:19:17 am »
Maybe you could try setting your wireless accesspoint to a different channel, it could be interference.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:Solved: Slow Orbiter, N810. Network or Core issue?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 12:17:09 pm »
Good input. I did not try to switch channel although I moved the router around abit.(away from walls and stuff)
 Also checked the ifconfig in the orbiter to see whether there where Packet Drops etc (did the same on the Core) No packet drops though.

*hmm* I found the problem now and I am seriously disliking the budget crappy cheapy shitto Linksys sw.
 I have the WRT300N adsl / Wlan router/Router and it Sucks! at least when I'm used to work with cisco's at work.
 I had the config right but for some reason it never "swallowed it" or used it. So I guess it always tried to connect to the external adsl port when doing something. Explains the behaviour.
  Sorry for taking your time with this trivial problem.

I am feeling lucky because I was thinking I had a serious problem with the N810.
Now it navigates faster, not Very fast but as it should and waiting 6-20sec before it displays the result is now Gone!

Thanks!
 my wife will be a bit happier now I guess :)

Br
Johan

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Solved:Slow Orbiter, N810. Network or Core issue?
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 12:28:56 pm »
get an AIR-AP113x or something like that, very cheap on ebay.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: back again, Slow Orbiter, N810. Network or Core issue?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 09:09:45 pm »
Hmm.. I was actually thinking going to Dlink or something. Or even Zyxel  :-\
Will give the Air Ap a serious look..
 Is it easier to configure? setting up acl's, stat. routes etc from where you want to what interface you want?

BTW I think I jumped the guns to quickly. Now it's as bad as before.. But the Wlan router will be changed no matter what. I was aiming to do that when the financial situation of mine had gone better though.

-johan

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: back again:Slow Orbiter, N810. Network or Core issue?
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 09:17:57 pm »
Maybe the neigbours have turned their accesspoint back on. ;)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 10:08:05 am »
exactly my first thought as well  :)
So I changed to a different channel actually tried a few. (although I could not spot any new node in the air)
Also second thought was that someone was "pinging to death" my network or similar. But no such activity could be seen. Very weird.

Had a big (1000byte)ping running(from another pc wlan conn.) to the Core in the same time as opening the Orbiter and navigating. I could see a major increase in responsetime while doing something with the orbiter.
Maybe the bandwith of the wlan router is not sufficient enough(?) strange since I have had it working flawlessly. at another location and prev. orbiter sw.

Core/orbiter:
Except for top. Are there other nice commands I can type to print how core or the orbiter is doing?
I would like to rule out those ones before spending money on another wlan router.

-johan

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 01:55:02 pm »
the n-crap and those "speed doubling" access points don't play nice in the spectrum. So be aware that the situation will get worse over time, or get used to an "upgrade fight".

And people even buy that crap, was the same with 802.11g (and being happy cuz 108 is twice as fast as 54)..

br, hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

johanr

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:40:37 pm »
yes that's a nice selling argument. I However did not decide upon that but the(at the time) good opinions from people and the fact that the local store did not have many other options(needed one fast)

as Zaerc implies it is probarbly related to some sort of interference. Or an bw issue between the wlan "port" and the internal ports.

-johan