Author Topic: ASUS P5N7A-VM LGA 775 WIll it work?  (Read 17928 times)

Kernellinux

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
ASUS P5N7A-VM LGA 775 WIll it work?
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:50:35 am »
I'm curious, does anyone have this motherboard, if I am going to buy a MB specifically for a MediaCenter, and that MC will only be running LINUX MCE it seems foolish to buy anything that "Will work out of the box and no problems". Is anyone using this board, or another board that works out of the box as a Hybrid?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: ASUS P5N7A-VM LGA 775 WIll it work?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 01:17:16 pm »
According to totally maxed and the wiki, it should boot, install and run flowlesly with any tweaking.
I've been trying to boot it as an MD,  but so far the only thing I got is: "kernel panic - not syncing", and it's complaining about the nick.
I've tried disabling ACPI but no go...

Any ideas ?

Itsik

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 02:33:14 pm »
According to totally maxed and the wiki, it should boot, install and run flowlesly with any tweaking.
I've been trying to boot it as an MD,  but so far the only thing I got is: "kernel panic - not syncing", and it's complaining about the nick.
I've tried disabling ACPI but no go...

Any ideas ?

Itsik

You will need to add support for the RT8168 Nic to your system to get this board to PXE boot as an MD; See here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Realtek_8168

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 05:25:46 pm »
I get the following error:

Code: [Select]
dcerouter_88771:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.22# patch < r8168.diff
bash: r8168.diff: No such file or directory

Kernellinux

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:26:09 pm »
So, for a basic Hybrid, (I don't need to boot via lan) it should work with no tweaking?

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:15:48 pm »
 :D
Here is a note. I followed the wiki page to get an idea of how to resolve the issue with my Asus board.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Realtek_8168#Asus_M3A78-EM

I went to Asus' website and downloaded the LinuxDrivers.zip package for my board the M3A78-EM. I did not have to patch anything to get it to work, using the link above, follow it as closely as you can, and see if that helps. Asus is really good about drivers, I learned later on that I did not need to download the package, it was on the DVD that came with my board.

Just follow the steps I outlined in the wiki entry, and you should be on track. As to suing it for a core, I did not try it, so no testing was involved, but I can only assume that if the kernel image for the MD's is like the one for the Hybrid, then you will probably still need to get the driver installed for it as well.

Best Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:54:00 am »
well, getting no where with this board :(
Seth, tried the driver thing but didn't get anywhere, so I added an intel nic which enabled me to boot.
After booting i can't even get to the AV-Wizard, just a black screen.
Tried to update the nvidia drivers but it wont let me ssh in accept as sambahelper, and chroot from the core won't work either ...
Any ideas ?

Thnx
Itsik

King

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:15:31 pm »
I bought this board and I have been trying to get audio out of HDMI w/ no luck. Has anyone gotten audio out of HDMI specifically using Nvidia hardware? I've tried updating drivers for video and sound, nothing. Checked Alsamixer ,ok Updated ALSA to 1.0.18a, nothing.

Thanks
Core Running as Hybrid:
Asus P5N7A-VM Mobo
On Board NVIDIA Geforce 9300
Single 500G HD
PCI NIC
Currently running 8.10
No MD's Yet
Buffalo Linkstation NAS
Sharp Aquos LC-46SE94U

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 08:05:39 pm »
well, getting no where with this board :(
Seth, tried the driver thing but didn't get anywhere, so I added an intel nic which enabled me to boot.
After booting i can't even get to the AV-Wizard, just a black screen.
Tried to update the nvidia drivers but it wont let me ssh in accept as sambahelper, and chroot from the core won't work either ...
Any ideas ?

Thnx
Itsik

This board work great as an MD or a Core but you do have to add the RTL8168 NIC driver to the MD diskless image if you want it to boot. If your adding this board as a Core you will find that the standard LinuxMCE-0710 DVD will not complete the final part of the install as it cannot detect the NIC as the RTL8168 driver is not on the Live DVD... however if you install a supported PCI-e NIC either temporarily of permanently before installing then the initial install will go fine and the RTL8168 NIC will get detected on first boot from the installation on your hard drive.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

dmainou

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 01:57:32 am »
Guys,

Is this good for a hybrid?

Just confirming the obvious but if something fails I'll have a hard time finding/fixing the problem.

It must be trouble free.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:00:05 am by dmainou »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 03:16:22 am »
Guys,

Is this good for a hybrid?

Just confirming the obvious but if something fails I'll have a hard time finding/fixing the problem.

It must be trouble free.

Thanks!

Is it really that hard to read the few posts in this thread?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

dmainou

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:09:11 am »

No  its not hard.... I just want to make sure. Not being an IT profesional I just want to double check.

I trade dervivatives for a living I'm sure you'll get them in 5 min too. How's your 401k? I'm sure you understand every single part of it and don't need to ask obvious things as they are clearly written in the prospectus... don't ya?

Not all of us were born with linux in our veins... but I'm getting there.
   ;D

Thanks

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 08:48:03 am »

No  its not hard.... I just want to make sure. Not being an IT profesional I just want to double check.

I trade dervivatives for a living I'm sure you'll get them in 5 min too. How's your 401k? I'm sure you understand every single part of it and don't need to ask obvious things as they are clearly written in the prospectus... don't ya?

;D

Thanks

It has nothing to do with understanding Linux. If I read a thread like this, where people say it does not work for them, while other people say it does work for them, I would not say that this board is trouble free.

As Thom pointed out, try to read the few post. I am sure, everyone with just a little bit of knowledge in the English language, will be able to understand that there seem to be troubles with the board.

rgds
Oliver

dmainou

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 10:46:38 am »
Thanks mate... I've been researching form many moths. The mobo's that do seem to work are obsolete the others...

Totallymaxed reports that his works both as a core and as a MD..... I pesume that id will do as a hybrid too.

BUT

Someone have stated some  have problems waking the mobo via the Lan.
A third one said that it will be their core therefore that doesn't bother them.

I plan to build a hybrid is that problem relevant to me?... I presume it doesn't since I can't think a scenario where I will need wake up on lan.

But

It is my first box and there may be one such scenario so lets ask the kind members of the forum

It may be dumb but to me is not evident nut to someone more qualified it may be an I/O question.

Don't want to offend anyone I'm just LinuxMCE illiterate..

thanks mate

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »

;D

Thanks

Well I understand that all that money nonsense where people earn big amounts without producing or contributing anything is a huge fraud, and that's all I need to know about it.  Other then that... what possy said.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous