Author Topic: Internet radio idea.  (Read 3477 times)

joshr219

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Internet radio idea.
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:05:47 am »
This is just an idea but it would be cool to have an internet radio in LMCE. If I could write script for LMCE I would more than gladly help Thom or any of the other developers. But seeing how I'm 16, I not sure how much of a help I could be. Well the internet radio was just an idea.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:11:33 am by joshr219 »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Internet radio idea.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:39:13 am »
LinuxMCE can already do this in a very basic form.... look in the wiki for the Shoutcast Plugin.

Also,

Aaron.b did some necessary work to make it possible to handle multple media sources within the file list. We just need to flesh it out.

You can also look in the wiki for scenarios that you can create to tune into individual stations from your orbiter. :)

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 03:16:11 pm »
I havent tried this yet, but why couldnt one just open the browser from the UI and bookmark Pandora? its the best internet radio out there.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 03:21:09 pm »
You can, but one of the goals of this project is to unify media sources in a single place and provide a whole house UI that can manipulate it.

If you use Pandora, for example, you can't use the Orbiter to bounce it to multiple locations in the house, or follow me, etc...etc....

This isn't just a simple media center, you have to think way beyond that. Our goals are much bigger.

-Thom

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 03:24:07 pm »
ya true, I do tend to half-ass things that makes sense.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 03:39:36 pm »
The things to note:

* The media handler can deal with URLs. By itself, it doesn't care what it's passed, it only cares that the target plugin and player pairs can handle it. As it turns out, the Xine_Player can handle internet radio URLs just fine, they just need the raw stream URL.

* Media Types can be defined by plugins in code. And we should be able to add multiple radio selections from a file list into a working playlist, which can be saved.

* In the end, this will come up in Audio, and a page in web admin will have to be created to hold URLs to streaming stations from sites so that the file list can have something to pull from... maybe connect into a streaming station search API of sorts so that searches can be made for stations in addition to creating a stack of favourites.

* Define a default helper in the browser so that .pls, .m3u files etc would go to a script of ours, which would add the streaming URL to the system, and send a media handler request to play it.

* Finally, An orbiter remote should also be made for all the variations, that doesn't have the ffw/rew buttons, and maybe other buttons that would be apt for it.

This is sort of the thought process that's going on in my head, yes it's a lot, but in the end, think of what would be the benefit to users:

* Users could select a URL from a site, listen to it play, and it would add the URL to the list of stations.

* Users could manipulate radio station URLs from the web admin

* Users could quickly select and build playlists of favourite stations

* Users could use all the regular media facilities to send the radio station to all supported devices

and so on. :)

-Thom

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 04:04:24 pm »
Until we have a complete solution http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Internet_Radio

That works great for a single or few internet stations.
I combine one of these with a timed event to have music automatically start for me while i get ready for work.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 06:06:32 pm »
OMG!!  With all the other stuff this system can do, I didn't even think about internet radio!!

I can't wait to get home and try this out.  I'm loving this system more every day.

P.S.
I'm blaming all you guys when my wife bitches me out about spending so much time on this, hope you don't mind.  hehe

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:31:04 pm »
 :)
Ah, Another LMCE Bachelor.

That's why I use it. I like the whole "...One Ring To Rule Them All..." concept of LinuxMCE.

BTW. The internet radio wiki works well. I have used this in the past.

Best of Luck, and Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 06:33:22 pm »
Note, this was before he figured out he could attach his sirius satellite radio to bounce around the house. ;-)

-Thom