Author Topic: nVidia 8600M GT  (Read 2503 times)

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
nVidia 8600M GT
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:24:09 pm »
Hi...

I have one installation-question left:
I'm using a laptop for MCE. It has the nVidia 8600 GT. Via dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg I can adjust my system to use a "generic video card" type nv. This way I can start MCE, but just with the simpliest ui. So far so good. BUT my video-card could do more. I know that. I installed the driver for my card via envy (but without enabling multiverse - didn't find a way to enable it vie the mce - kubuntu system). Unfotunately, when I restart the A/V-Wizard during my startup, I get some kind of crazy outputs: the wizard is display 6 times on my screen! But now I can enable the best ui (as a special feature, I can see it - just like the wizard - 6 times on one screen   ;)   ). Any suggestions what I can do to adjust my card the right way?

Thank you for your help...

Scyth
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:26:23 pm by Scyth »

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: nVidia 8600M GT
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:32:30 pm »
Reallly NOONE ever heard of it?

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:17:09 pm »
Problem solved.

The wizard in combination with the nVidia-driver writes a totally confused xorg.conf, in which some entries are in one row... f.e.:

Code: [Select]
Option         "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlacedModes, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"  "

You have to seperate the entries and set them to "true" - so everithing will work as it should.

btw.: copy this xorg.conf or you must start all over again, when the wizard will be started again!

Scyth

PS: Many thanks to "DaBossDaChef", linux-club.de!!    ;) :D

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 01:48:04 am »
I just comment out the whole thing if it gets in my way
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous