Author Topic: CCTV or IP Camera?  (Read 16067 times)

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
CCTV or IP Camera?
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:57:37 pm »
I'm trying to decide between CCTV with a Bluecherry 8 or 16-port PCI card (about $170) or if I should use TCP/IP cameras.  I'd like to have at least 2 outdoor cameras and at least 4 internal cameras.  Any thoughts?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: CCTV or IP Camera?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:04:47 pm »
IP cams usually work panless. No driver issues and such..

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:34:29 pm »
im with hari on this one. Ip cams ftw.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 05:56:30 pm »
Ok, but all the supported IP cameras are super-expensive, whereas CCTV ones are like $50/ea plus that board!  Any known compatible ones that aren't that expensive?

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:23:09 pm »
Ok, but all the supported IP cameras are super-expensive, whereas CCTV ones are like $50/ea plus that board!  Any known compatible ones that aren't that expensive?

Disclaimer: Someone pointed me to this product. I HAVE NOT TRIED IT MYSELF!!!

That being said, maybe something like this is what your looking for?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-9100A-PLUS-N
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

cesarscav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 07:14:03 pm »
nosebreaker,
I recently install a Bluecherry PV-981 - 8 port video PCIe version and After some pain (not Much) they work fine, I'm still have to configure somethings. But I had no drivers issues.
I followed this Wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Analog_cameras
Good Luck

Cesar

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 08:00:43 pm »
Nosebreaker, I've got two DCS-5300 IP cameras and 4 Swann analog camera connected to a Bluecherry Card, and I much prefer the picture on the analog cameras. I've also had problems with the IP cameras not responding to commands (pan. zoom, etc). I do occasionally have an issue where one or more of the cameras will stop refreshing, but I think that's a hardware problem as it happens with both IP and analog. -elspic

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:10:56 pm »
the 5300 runs fine here..

br, Hari

highsecurity

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 12:33:54 pm »
As a pro security installer i can tell you that i still use analog camera over IP ones due to a few resigns the first is price as i can get fixed camera's with all the high end fetures such as WDR BMBLC at half the cost of IP camera and get better results. Its not untill you get in the big megapixel cameras that the IP camera come into there own but there also big dollars

just my personel opion and hope i havent ofened any one

nosebreaker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 03:54:46 pm »

No, there is no point in getting that, I might as well get the bluecherry cards!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »
The analogue cameras are a lot more difficult to set up, too. Keep in mind the IP cameras are much easier to set up, and with this system, this will always be the case.

CCDs in these units will improve markedly over time, so your argument doesn't hold water for long.

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 05:43:10 pm »
tell me about the analog equivalent for an AXIS 212 PTZ-V...

Good IP cams beat the shit out of analog nowadays. Just look how the signal degrades over long cable runs with PAL/NTSC over FBAS.

br, Hari

highsecurity

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 11:36:35 pm »
well hari the axis 212 ptz uses a digital ptz funtion so the more it zooms the worst the picture will get it has a few good points but to go better than this you would look at a full size PTZ and if you wanted to go one up on it you would run video anallitics over the top of it and this would give you the full las vagas style of control including Automatic trace or following of a person. if distance is an issue you can run a full analog camera up to 1.6kms or a mile over a standard phone line or cat5 using active transmitters and receivers very cheaply now to do that over a network you would need to run fibre and i have ran analogs at 5kms over fibre as well

i know that IP will take over in the near future but in my line of work the quality and price has still a bit of work to be done to get it on par with current analog devices

1 brand you guys might want to have a look at that cought my eye for quality and features was ACTi. these camera's can have 2 diffrent streams at different settings running from them at the same time, so you could have 1 stream runing @ 4CIF 30 frames to your recording equipment and another stream running @ 640x480 for remote viewing to save bandwidth over your internet connection. These units also support 2 way audio witch could be good for a front door or gate.

I'm not a hard core analog guy its just i look for the best solutions for my clients with there pockets in mind

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 04:58:22 am »

No, there is no point in getting that, I might as well get the bluecherry cards!

The bluecherry cards take up a slot inside the machine, this doesn't
this provides a simple ip interface.

not saying buy it, but just know the difference.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 05:36:57 pm »
along the same lines, I want to have a camera for monitoring my dogs in there outdoor kennel. I dont neet high res or anything, I just like to check every once in a while to see they are still there and not run away or laying there dead...
I prefer an IP cam, and I can easily make a weatherproof container for it and it will be covered by their kennel roof so I will take indoor or outdoor recommendations.

Any suggestions?
Cheap
Doesnt have to have a Pan or zoom option
IP
indoor or outdoor
B&W would also be fine
no audio necessary but would be cool