Author Topic: Another networking thread  (Read 2453 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Another networking thread
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:43:01 pm »
Hey guys I understand how LMCE is supposed to be setup and want to make sure that the way I have my setup configured is correct.  Due to the fact that my LMCE core needs to be upstairs for experimentation I am not able to put it directly behind my cable modem so it is instead behind a switch.  Now I understand that this normally is not correct, but I set my switch to 192.168.80.2, turned off DHCP and have two lines running to the LMCE box.  I also shut down the firewall on the switch in an attempt to avoid conflicts with LMCE.  With my setup configured in this manner I believe I have a proper setup, but I would like to confirm with the experts as I do not have enough equipment currently to attempt pxe booting or anything like that which would undoubtedly tell the tale of whether I have a problem.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Another networking thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 08:50:38 pm »
80.2 is prolly not a good idea, as this is in the default range for the MDs.

Regarding unusual networking setups, there are two kinds. Those that work and those that don't. There are quite some pieces working together. If you glue everything together in the right way, everything is doable. I even used arpwatch once to fake the dhcp pnp engine, used a different tftp/dhcp and whatnot.

Is this a layer 3 switch? Does it support vlans? Do you plan to use PXE? so many questions... This is the problem with "unsupported" setups.. so much potential for troubles. You now ask for confirmation... hard to tell, I am not able to extract a complete picture of your config from your description.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 05:08:34 pm »
I can share my original setup just give you an idea.

I have my LMCE box behind another firewall also, I do not use my LMCE box as a gateway.

The external NIC of the LMCE box is connected to my normal LAN with an IP range of 10.0.0.X

the internal NIC of my LMCE box is connected to another switch that is isolated from my LAN so that I can boot my MDs.

And I did not have to disable my DHCP that way.

That is probably the simplest setup to achieve what you want.

I no longer use that setup, I use an l3 switch and utilize vlans now, as hari was getting at.  A little more complicated that way, but saves having to setup a second isolated LAN for MDs.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

NJumlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:48:50 am »
For the cable modem, if this one is connected to the switch and the hybrid is acting as DHCP server you'll need to setup the DNS and gateways for the DHCP server to match the cable modems settings. To experiment with which settings you should have you should turn of dhcp server and set it to dhcp client and connect it to the cable modem directly to see what settings it recieves from the cable modem. Let me know if I missunderstood you.

Cheers,
Niklas
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but never simpler - Einstein