Author Topic: RFID and Sensor Support?  (Read 3031 times)

randomblink

• View Profile
RFID and Sensor Support?
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:04:16 pm »
Alright, so I'm looking into various sensors and stuff, getting a shopping / price list together.
Something that dawned on me was RFID? Has ANYONE gotten RFID to do ANYTHING in a LinuxMCE environment yet?
I can't seem to find anything, anywhere on it.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: RFID and Sensor Support?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:03:29 pm »
i'm playing with an active token from hong kong. Basically you send presence detected/lost events.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

randomblink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:30:48 pm »
I'm wondering how well this concept would fly.

On the one hand, you could setup follow me quite easily, and nicely.
On the other hand, I want it to unlock my door when I get close to it, and lock when I go away but there's too many 'what ifs' in that scenario for my taste.
But I like the idea of RFID'ing my cats collar and unlocking the pet door for her, that would be kinda cool in that geeky way I love.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:31:37 am »
ah, thought you want to use it for presence detection/follow me. I'd better not use RFID for door locks. Not without expensive active crypto tokens.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 02:23:16 am »
ah, thought you want to use it for presence detection/follow me. I'd better not use RFID for door locks. Not without expensive active crypto tokens.

best regards,
Hari

I don't follow you. I thought each tag had a unique ID. Are you saying for security applications, instead of just presence, not any RFID would do. Where's the problem - that they're easy to copy, or that they're not unique?

I also want to use it for a pet door, but in my case it's not just because it's geeky and cool. The door is for a big dog, and it's large enough for a man to get through. RFID on the dog's collar was the only idea I came up with.

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard