Author Topic: Orbiter generation problem  (Read 4142 times)

Lomion

• View Profile
Orbiter generation problem
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:48:07 pm »
Hi all!

I'm trying to get to work my new installation of LinuxMCE 7.10.
I have LinuxMCE installed on an old computer this morning, starting from DVD.

Everything went fine, I went through AV Wizard and choose 1280x1024, no Opengl (video card is an old Nvidia MX400) and setup sound output.
After AVWizard, when core started for first time, skin for Orbiter generated and then LinuxMCE started trying to connect to router on localhost (127.0.0.1). In this phase, something went wrong and I was told that "LM_connect: failed" and "cannot connect to router".

If I start DCERouter from tty1, LinuxMCE starts generating skin for on-screen orbiter, but suddently on phase 2 of 2 at about screen 151 it stops, complaining it cannot find config file for orbiter on server, and that it will regenerate this orbiter.
At about the same point everything stops again, and so on, in loop.

My box has 2 nics (eth0 is connected to ADSL Modem/router with DHCP enabled), Nvidia graphic card MX400, Pentium III processor and 512 Megs of ram.
I've also tried installing on a Via C3 board but I've encountered same errors.

Thanks to everyone who will help me, and sorry for my poor english ;)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter generation problem
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:56:51 pm »
You need to read the system requirements in the FAQ on the wiki.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ

-Thom

Lomion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:19:22 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I've seen system requirement on http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/System_Requirements and this old computer meets minimal specs.
Forgot to mention that on the Via C3 card I had previously installed 7.04 and it ran quite well.

Anyway, I'll take a deeper look into the wiki, I think I've messed around something during the install process.

I can't figure out why, but after a reinstall LinuxMCE now can connect to router (no more LM_connect error), but Orbiter still can't be generated...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:25:33 am »
You'll need alternative drivers from nvidia for that MX400 and probably tweak xorg.conf manually: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

indulis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:04:38 am »
I am also getting intermittent "can't generate orbiter" messages, can't find any messages in the log as to why.  I reboot or sometimes stop the router and restart it and it clears up.  Have also had problems with loss of contact with mysql.  Suspect timing probllem with mysql, too long to respond 'cos it is doing something else?

Once LMCE is up all is fine for a couple of days.  Get kernel crashes at the moment but will try rebuilding my kernel with a newer or older version (2.6.27.4 at the moment).

Lomion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 10:49:06 am »
You'll need alternative drivers from nvidia for that MX400 and probably tweak xorg.conf manually: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers.

mmm I'm using Vesa driver right now, I'll try to install nvidia legacy driver as you suggested :)

Strange enough, if I take "OpenGL overlay" Orbiter is generated correctly, but cannot be displayed.

I am also getting intermittent "can't generate orbiter" messages, can't find any messages in the log as to why.  I reboot or sometimes stop the router and restart it and it clears up.  Have also had problems with loss of contact with mysql.  Suspect timing probllem with mysql, too long to respond 'cos it is doing something else?

Once LMCE is up all is fine for a couple of days.  Get kernel crashes at the moment but will try rebuilding my kernel with a newer or older version (2.6.27.4 at the moment).

In my case they're not intermittent, I had this strange message from the first fresh install... And never got to House setup wizard.

Well, I will try to get Nvidia drivers working before trying something else ;)

Lomion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:32:12 pm »
Boys I've good news!

I started reinstalling 7.10 from DVD to the Via C3 motherboard, but this time I installed with ethernet cable unplugged from NIC.
Everything is working now, except I had to make network tuning after installation because installer put same IP on each ethernet card, so I had to chage IP of external NIC to match the subnet of my LAN.
I think installer had problem with my LAN settings  ???
LinuxMCE 7.10 runs very well on this VIA EPIA PE10000G and 512 MB of RAM.

Now I'm going to try a fresh install without cable connected on the other, more "powerful" ::) Pentium 3...