Author Topic: Media Directors for $200 or LESS! Please post  (Read 11067 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Media Directors for $200 or LESS! Please post
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 04:15:07 pm »
One thing that bugs me about this forum is when people new to LMCE ask what they think is an innocent question and get slapped around for it.  I'm not saying Thom/Hari/etc. are wrong, I happen to agree with them, just asking for everyoneto be a bit more diplomatic.

GIC - seriously, do some searching here and on the wiki.  If you did you'd know LMCE supports UPnP devices, most likely including the media center extenders you have.  I don't think it supports live tv, but I really haven't played with it so I don't know for sure.  It also uses "windows" shares for media, so that $60 KLEGG box (whatever it is) sounds like it would work the identical way in LMCE. 

It's also very important IMHO to point out that LMCE is NOT just a media center.  It is a full home automation system, will take over and control all your AV devices, answer your phone, let you "get the door" via video, call your cell phone if sensors detect someone in your house, play literally thousands of old school video games (thanks again Thom, my boys are loving that), etc. etc. etc.  If all you want is a replacement for MS MCE you should be looking at MythTV, a much more similar setup.

LMCE is a huge complex system and while once setup it's great, it's still far from being as mature and polished as say MythTV.  Things are changing fast.  Apparently you are disappointed in the progress made so far, but I really think it's due to ignorance.  I don't mean that as an insult, just that you should really spend some time on the forums, wiki, and testing things for yourself before voicing your opinions on lack of progress. 

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 08:15:10 pm »
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'd like to come to the defense of everybody.

First, I'm a life long Windows guy, I'd go so far as to say I'm an expert as I've been in the business of networking/building/repairing computers since before there was a Windows (Netware 2 FTW!!).  Until recently with LMCE I've had virtually no experience with Linux of any kind.  Not that I ever had a problem with it, it just isn't used in my career market.

So, with that in mind I can explain how us Windows people think and why I think there was a misunderstanding in this thread.  Windows people are commercial-centric.  We pay for everything.  You want to add another user?  That'll be $100, oh, they need email too? Another $50, and so on.  So, as an effect of that, we are typically demanding.  The reasoning being "I'm paying you an ass load of money, you better have a patch yesterday and you better support anything I can buy."  And usually they do because they want our money.  So, having been accustomed to that sort of workings for so long, most Windows people don't really think anything of asking things like: "Why doesn't it already have drivers?  What do you mean this hardware isn't supported?  When is a patch coming out?"  None of that is meant to be insulting or desparaging, we just think like that because it's how we've been conditioned.

Now, having just started to delve into LMCE I've had a huge culture shock.  Um, It's free? Really? You're shitting me.  Wait, AND I can go online and chat live with the actual developers?!?  Get the fuck out a here!   This is too good to be true!  Well, it is if you don't let go of your conditioning.  LMCE is free because people like me and you donate their time and money to develop it.  In most cases for no reward other that the project itself.  This is a radically foreign concept to us Windows people.

However, the beauty of the project is also it's bane.  Free means limited resources and those are being provided by a very small percentage of the community busting their asses harder than the rest of us can comprehend.  And you have to bear in mind that I'm sure they get many people everyday that are "Hey, I just saw this video of LMCE and downloaded it.  Make all my shit work for me and I'll check in with you later."  (Because that's how Windows people are conditioned)  From the perspective of the people working so hard on this project that comes off sounding extremely selfish, condescending and greedy.  Imagine you spend all week remodeling your kitchen and your Wife gets home, takes one look at it and the first thing she says is: "Couldn't you make the counter longer?  My cutting board won't fit on that."  You'd be like, "Fuck you bitch, next time do it yourself."  Now imagine the people that have been working on this project for years.  It's understandable that they'd have a strong reaction to a similar statement.

So, the misunderstanding part is two-fold:

Us Windows guys have to really think about what's going on here, it's a truly amazing thing involving collaboration and support from guys just like us and our "commercial" model doesn't apply.  Support is whatever people have time to provide and WE can be those people.  You don't have to be a Linux programmer to provide support to others, it can be as small as connecting a previously untested piece of hardware and reporting your experience.  The important thing to remember is that it's thankless and NOT what you're accustomed to from a software development perspective.  We have to keep in mind whenever posting that these people are GIVING their time, be thankful for whatever help we can get and be willing to do our own research if help isn't available.  (Don't be afaid to learn Linux, it's actually pretty cool if you can retrain yourself)  LMCE is an awesome home automation solution and as a consequence it is complex.  Don't think for an instant that you're just going to plug in your stuff and *poof* everything works.  It's like having a super hot girlfriend that's a complete bitch, there's a lot of work involved but the payoff is worth it.

Linux guys, give us Windows people a little margin for error, we don't mean anything malicious.  We're just new and have to overcome years of conditioning.  For some of us that's easier than others but it does take adjustment and I think most of us are trying.  I do realize that you have to deal with a lot of us, but remember, we're here BECAUSE the system is great.  Most of us want to help but don't truly understand what's going on and just need a little time and patience.  Try to bear that in mind when we say something inappropriate.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 08:36:06 pm »
well said, Dale_K!

best regards,
Hari

ps: damn, you reminded me on odipkt :-)
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »
Dale_K: Spot on. Thank you. We will try to be more diplomatic.

*HUG*

-Thom

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 11:39:57 pm »
dale_k's comment should be 'required' reading. As Thom said, spot on.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 11:59:58 pm »
Dale that was so off topic, back to the point... when is my hardware gonna be supported????

J/K
I know I feel lost in linux and I have been asking a TON of questions, thanks to all those who answer even if its not polite. Unlike others i really don't care if your mean as long as I get my answer!!

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 12:24:19 am »
Dale that was so off topic, back to the point... when is my hardware gonna be supported????

J/K
I know I feel lost in linux and I have been asking a TON of questions, thanks to all those who answer even if its not polite. Unlike others i really don't care if your mean as long as I get my answer!!
It's "you're" you dumbass.  There's your answer.

kidding, KIDDING.   ;D

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 12:26:16 am »
And just like that, we've devolved into a youtube comments thread.

*ba-dum-ching*

-Thom

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 12:28:51 am »
anybody wants some popcorn?
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 01:28:14 am »
2 x asus m2npvm (no longer made)  - $100 each
2 x 500 gb hds - $150 total
1 x usb uirt - $60.00
1 x linksys 3102 ata - $60.00
MD cases - free
500' of cat6 - really dont remember
remodel boxes, connectors (coax, cat 6),wall plates - $50
leviton home networking enclosure - $60.00
cat6 patch panel - $30.00
7 x 50' coax cables - $20 ea i wanna say. i went lazy here and got ones that had the head already because i had plenty of pull space in the wall.
wall patch materials, drywall, spackle - $75 (i tore through a lot of plaster  ;D )
7 x X10 wall switches at about $12.00 each
1 x X10 motion sensor flood (with video!) for $150
dlink gigabit switch - $80
1 x pvr 500 - gift.
1 x pvr 150 - $60 or $70

and thats a rough estimate and really doesnt include time spent hiding wires and various other things done to prevent clutter and properly install everything.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

geekincolorado

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 03:56:32 pm »

So, with that in mind I can explain how us Windows people think and why I think there was a misunderstanding in this thread.  Windows people are commercial-centric.  We pay for everything.  You want to add another user?  That'll be $100, oh, they need email too? Another $50, and so on.  So, as an effect of that, we are typically demanding.  The reasoning being "I'm paying you an ass load of money, you better have a patch yesterday and you better support anything I can buy."  And usually they do because they want our money.  So, having been accustomed to that sort of workings for so long, most Windows people don't really think anything of asking things like: "Why doesn't it already have drivers?  What do you mean this hardware isn't supported?  When is a patch coming out?"  None of that is meant to be insulting or desparaging, we just think like that because it's how we've been conditioned.

So, the misunderstanding part is two-fold:

Well said as that is also my background. 
I am finally getting to understand cost(s) and such for this mighty beast.  I have been doing some digging and will be giving it a shot.