Author Topic: Some general questions  (Read 3108 times)

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Some general questions
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:43:53 pm »
Hi everyone!

First off: I'm totally new to MCE - but hey: I really like your product and I will read the architecture and all the rest very soon - all you developers out there: you did a really great job. Is there a way to help your project by giving you some amount of money? If yes, I'd really like to do so...

But there are some questions left:
1.) I wasn't able to find something like 'Install new software' within the KDE-Menu-Tree. Did I miss something? I'd really like to install some other programs...
2.) I opened the bash and wanted to try some stuff f.e. chmod. But of course I just can do that, while I'm root. Unfortunately I never was asked for a root-password. So right now I'm wondering, what this password might be.
3.) When playing DVD's - well, they don't play fluently. All two or three seconds the picture freezes before it continues - is this problem already well known? And is there an solution? (Well - this was the point wich led me directly to 1.)  ;)   )

My system: Laptop with dualcore (Intel) 2,4 gh, NVIDIA GFORCE 8600M GT with, 2 GB DDR2 RAM.

Thank you!

Scyth

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Some general questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:56:56 pm »
1.) I wasn't able to find something like 'Install new software' within the KDE-Menu-Tree. Did I miss something? I'd really like to install some other programs...
use apt-get. Be careful, we have huge dependencies and special versions.

2.) I opened the bash and wanted to try some stuff f.e. chmod. But of course I just can do that, while I'm root. Unfortunately I never was asked for a root-password. So right now I'm wondering, what this password might be.
not set.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:31:40 am »
use apt-get. Be careful, we have huge dependencies and special versions.

Hm, I was afraid you would say that... better if I don't touch it...

not set.

What do you mean by 'not set'? After su just enter? I would have tried that but it didn't work...

Scyth

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 12:59:14 am »
sudo is your friend.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

bundie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:02:03 am »

not set.

What do you mean by 'not set'? After su just enter? I would have tried that but it didn't work...

Scyth

It's literaly not there (like it isn't in any flavour of (k/x/u/edu)buntu. All you have to do is use "sudo", in your case:

Code: [Select]
sudo chmod ...

the password which the system will ask you for, is your users password...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Hope this helps,
Enjoy your LinuxMCE,
Reint.

Scyth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:50:11 pm »
Thank you - I didn't think about sudo because I thought, that by using sudo you allways will be asked for your pw...

Unfotunatly the update, which I was asked by MCE, shot the system down - and boy, the installation on my Laptop is tough... really tried it, but with no success up to now... mentions something about a "End of helper script", then the screen flashes to dcerouterlogin, then back to the helper script and so on...  :( :'(

Scyth

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:29:07 pm »
You likely need to update and set your display drivers up properly: see http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous