Author Topic: BD and HD Playback  (Read 1617 times)

rodercot

BD and HD Playback
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:45:03 pm »
Hey all,

so I ripped a couple of hd movies yesterday, via anydvd to my nas. I also copied over an mp4/aac file and an mkv/ac3 file to the nas. BD and HD-dvd were detected as the proper Lmce media with no options for amazon search, I can play the blu-ray propaganda and then a black screen, the hd-dvd is just a black screen, the mp4 will play with no sound and the mkv file plays but very bad tearing and chop in both audio and video. I assigned the mkv file as a LMCEvideo file in dvd/hd1080 - does the mkv need mplayer as well if so then what should the mkv file be set to in lmce.

Is there something that needs to be done to enable mplayer to read the blu-ray or hd titles properly. does 710rc2 have the udf2.5 patch installed.

rgds,

Dave

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BD and HD Playback
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 06:09:05 am »
any updates to this?

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:29:04 pm »
Might be an obvious question, but have you installed the codecs available in the software menu during setup? 

Advanced>Advanced>Add remove software

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 03:30:57 pm »
I played a .mkv file just the other night with no additional setup. My results were better although not great. During a slow moving scene the video quality was outstanding, once the action started going it would chop up a bit, and the left side of the screen would always be flooded with green pixels. One thing to note is I do not have a proper video card in any of my MD's yet. This was all just playing through the VGA output on my mother board, I am hoping that an nvidia card will fix this issue but I figured I would share my results.
Also I played the same video across the LMCE network on a windows based machine just to rule out the network side of things. It played perfect (this machine has a 512mb nvidia card).

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »
I played a .mkv file just the other night with no additional setup. My results were better although not great. During a slow moving scene the video quality was outstanding, once the action started going it would chop up a bit, and the left side of the screen would always be flooded with green pixels.

I also see the green pixels in .mkv files.  Although in my observation there is no correlation between how fast a scene is changing and their presence.

In 1080P videos I also get chop in scenes with lots of motion.  I'm using the following:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ EE Dual Core Processor AM2 Windsor 2.4GHZ 512KBX2 65W 90NM
Graphics: Integrated GeForce 6 GPU (in the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 on the ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo)

I'm wondering whether I need to upgrade my processor, GPU or both to remedy the choppiness problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Alex

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:08:42 pm »
Alex,
Are your green pixels always mainly on the left side of your screen? That is one thing I found strange is mine were almost always on the left edge and never across the halfway point of the screen.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 04:29:58 pm »
This has to do with a buggy libxine that shipped with 0710.

It should be gone in 0810.

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:46:30 pm »
Yup, green blocks from the left side of the screen are due to the version of xine(libxine)/mkv files.

If you are using UI2 with alpha blending, going back to UI2 with overlay MAY fix the issue, but it sounds like a video card and/or cpu processing issue.  1080p is pretty hard on video and decoding it can tax a cpu as well. 

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:59:57 pm »
yet another reason I hope Santa brings me LMCE 8.10 for Christmas....

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 05:37:31 pm »
Yup, green blocks from the left side of the screen are due to the version of xine(libxine)/mkv files.

If you are using UI2 with alpha blending, going back to UI2 with overlay MAY fix the issue, but it sounds like a video card and/or cpu processing issue.  1080p is pretty hard on video and decoding it can tax a cpu as well. 

Its a common problem and shifting to UI2 with overlay will not fix it...

See Thom's post... its a bug in Xine.

810 does indeed seem to fix the 'Green blocks' bug

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
Convergent Home Technologies Ltd

My Blog; http://ellipticalcurve.com

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC Wifi enabled for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

For Smart Home consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, inquiries@ellipticalcurve.com via email or PM me here.

Get a Dianemo License: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8880.msg100221#msg100221
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 05:52:53 pm »

Its a common problem and shifting to UI2 with overlay will not fix it...

See Thom's post... its a bug in Xine.

810 does indeed seem to fix the 'Green blocks' bug

All the best

Andrew
Oops, I wasn't clear.  Yes, the green blocks are due to libxine and mkv, I had the same issue myself and gave up on converting to mkv format.  I was talking about the choppy picture problem when suggesting UI2+overlay may help.  I forgot to mention what I was referring to when I switched to the other issue.  :)