Author Topic: xbox - ps3 as Media Directors  (Read 776 times)

luy

• First post!
    • View Profile
xbox - ps3 as Media Directors
« on: November 28, 2008, 02:11:24 pm »
Hi!

I'm new to LinuxMCE (in fact I'll be doing a first installation test tonight), and I must say is awesome... good work guys!

I'm planning to install a core/hybrid server into a spare machine, don't know if these specs will be enough... let me know what you think:
 - pentium 4 - 2,4 Ghz FSB - 400Mhz
 - 1,25 gb ram
 - 200 gb SATA drive (will be moved to a freeNAS box)
 - nvidia AGP FX5200, 128mb

Said that, I would like to use some other devices I got lying around the house as Media Directors.
I have seen one post regarding PS3, I know this will be tricky due to Cell processors, I don't know how far this guy went but it's an interesting project.
I also got an XBOX (not the 360, the old one), I had debian installed long time ago... and as it's based on i386 architecture I'm wondering if it would work just with the right drivers and a kind of grub bootloader to netboot.

Maybe I'm talking rubbish, I would like to have your inputs on this stuff.

Meanwhile I'll be doing some tests tonight with my first installation :)
I use to have all these services configured manually (asterisk, mythtv...) and I must say seems much easier with LinuxMCE!

Keep up the hard work!

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: xbox - ps3 as Media Directors
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 06:25:12 pm »
you could use the search function and find out that those 2 topics have been beaten to death.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • La Smarthomes - SoCal smarthome site
Re: xbox - ps3 as Media Directors
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 07:18:21 pm »
i dunno if ive ever written this down anywhere...

but with my ps3:

LiveTV - Not possible at the moment
Recorded tv - Availible via the upnp server that comes with myth. Works very well. I dont encounter any drops in streaming
Home automation functions - I use the web orbiter from the ps3. Granted it cant overlay the web browser over an active game, but its close enough for me.
Media Library - Can stream and copy 99% of my media. Some doesnt work due to crappy encoding or incompatible file type. This is done using fuppes, which is also included in linuxmce.
using the ps3 as a phone...havent tried nor would i know where to start. But i have hardphones connected to my voip so its not a major concern.

so while not perfectly integrated, it works just fine as a pseudo MD with most functions of an md available.

I dont know xbmc so i wont say its 100% compatible, but it browses the upnp stuff pretty well from my windows installation. If it can access a web browser, you should be able to do other things like control lights and other HA stuff.

hth,

golgoj4
Those people who tell you not to take chances, they are all missing what life's all about.

Wiki Hardware Page http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Langstonius