Author Topic: Newbie needs help!  (Read 5518 times)

joshr219

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Newbie needs help!
« on: November 27, 2008, 07:45:05 pm »
Ok, so I have 3 computers in my house. One has WinXP on it, the second has WinXP Media Center, and the third has LMCE. I have 2 HDDs in my XP(non-media center) and in my Media Center XP it has 1 HDD in it. I see a ton of Hard drives in my "Manage Disks" menu and when I try to save media to them it will save them but I can't access them after wards. I need help please! I'm extremely new to all this.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie needs help!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 11:04:15 pm »
Ok, so I have 3 computers in my house. One has WinXP on it, the second has WinXP Media Center, and the third has LMCE. I have 2 HDDs in my XP(non-media center) and in my Media Center XP it has 1 HDD in it. I see a ton of Hard drives in my "Manage Disks" menu and when I try to save media to them it will save them but I can't access them after wards. I need help please! I'm extremely new to all this.

I think you may have problems finding assistance because you most likely didn't set up your LMCE machine as suggested... that is, with two network cards and an internal network for your media devices.

If you haven't set up LMCE properly, then the hard drive discovery process will not work correctly (as you've noticed).

You really shouldn't have a "ton of hard drives" other than the total drives in your 3 computers. If you're seeing more, it could be because your other two machines keep getting a new IP number?

Tell us a bit more about your network setup.

joshr219

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:48:57 am »
Ok, well I work at a Computer shop(ironic isn't it?) and I can get a network card. Should I use my on-board ethernet port and a pci network card? But on my WinXP(non mce) it is hooked up wireless through a Linksys usb device and both the WinXP MC and LMCE are hooked up hardwire.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 04:02:24 am »
Ok, well I work at a Computer shop(ironic isn't it?) and I can get a network card. Should I use my on-board ethernet port and a pci network card? But on my WinXP(non mce) it is hooked up wireless through a Linksys usb device and both the WinXP MC and LMCE are hooked up hardwire.

Sure, that's what I do. My onboard NIC connects to my router, which is then connected to my DSL modem.

My second PCI NIC, is a GigaByte NIC, that goes to a gigabye router that all my other media computers are connected to.

That's what you need to do in order for your LMCE box to properly see the other hard drives in those other two machines.

Have a read through here:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Internal_LAN_setup

That's kewl that you work for a computer shop. Your experience may prove helpful in tinkering with LMCE!

joshr219

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 04:18:07 am »
Haha yeah! Well the thing is, I have a 2WIRE router/modem that has 4 ports built right into the back. I'm short on money right now so what should I do? Should I just buy an external hard drive (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=395871)? I know Seagate is reliable and has a good warrenty. Would this be the cheapest route?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 04:24:25 am »
Haha yeah! Well the thing is, I have a 2WIRE router/modem that has 4 ports built right into the back. I'm short on money right now so what should I do? Should I just buy an external hard drive (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=395871)? I know Seagate is reliable and has a good warrenty. Would this be the cheapest route?

Well, that's really up to you...

There's a "right way" to run LMCE and then there's the "non-approved" way. If you want a happy experience, set things up correctly. It's a pain but it's worth it.

You need to buy another NIC and a small switch and connect one cable from your 4 ports to the onboard NIC in the LMCE box, then run a cable from your second nic to your new switch, and then connect your other box to it.

Disable DHCP in your wireless router, disable the firewall in LMCE, and your wireless box should be OK.

joshr219

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:35:02 am »
Well I do have a switch at my house so it would be like: Router port 1 to on-board NIC, pci NIC to switch port 1, win mce to switch port 2, and connect my wireless still to my router?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:39:57 am by joshr219 »

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 04:42:05 am »
Well I do have a switch at my house so it would be like: Router port 1 to on-board NIC, pci NIC to switch port 1, win mce to switch port 2, and connect my wireless still to my router?

Yes, that sounds right.

Disable any DHCP server in your existing router, LMCE will take over that chore.

Disable the firewall in LMCE web admin in order for your wireless computer to work.

That would be workable.

joshr219

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 04:44:54 am »
Ok. Thanks for the help, it's been great :)! So I don't live at this house all the time so will my Dad still be able to get on his computer (Win mce) without having the LMCE box on?

ALSO: what should I do about all the Win sharing drives in my "manage Drives" menu? There is about 6 or 7 in there. Is there a way I can remove them and try to have them reconnect?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:50:04 am by joshr219 »

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 04:49:22 am »
Ok. Thanks for the help, it's been great :)! So I don't live at this house all the time so will my Dad still be able to get on his computer (Win mce) without having the LMCE box on?

No, you'd have to wire things up like they are now...

joshr219

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 04:53:21 am »
Oh ok. Hmm this is looking to be complicated haha. Could I leave out my WinMCE computer and just use the WinXP and LMCE computers?

ALSO:What should I do about all the Win sharing drives in my "manage Drives" menu? There is about 6 or 7 in there. Is there a way I can remove them and try to have them reconnect?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 02:12:40 pm »
Oh ok. Hmm this is looking to be complicated haha. Could I leave out my WinMCE computer and just use the WinXP and LMCE computers?

Sure... you could do it this way...

Leave your current router/switch the way it is (don't disable the DHCP server)

Run a cable to the onboard NIC on your test LMCE box (the external network)

Run a cable from the second NIC on your test LMCE box to another switch (to run your internal network)

Connect the WinXP box up to that second switch.

That would allow you to test LMCE between those two boxes. Your wireless machine will continue on as normal and basically not be a part of the LMCE network.

Spend some time reading about the suggested network setup for LMCE.

ALSO:What should I do about all the Win sharing drives in my "manage Drives" menu? There is about 6 or 7 in there. Is there a way I can remove them and try to have them reconnect?

I honestly don't have a clue what you would do about that, sorry!

joshr219

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 03:36:39 pm »
Ok thanks! I found an old network card at my house so I should be set up! I just have to get things set up, plugged in, and everything else. Well I'll get everything done later today and I'll PM you later and let you know how it went! Thanks again :)