Author Topic: Ratpoison Window Manager  (Read 2576 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Ratpoison Window Manager
« on: March 14, 2006, 03:47:15 am »
I understand that Pluto uses the Ratposing window manager.

This is a very simple window manager with no mouse controls. The window management (window order, max/restore/resize, focus) is controlled via escape sequences typically starting with Ctrl-t.

I got problem the first time that I tried to download a media file from Firefox to test the playing of multimedia in Pluto. I got a maximized download window (the one the usually is small and you can minimize) for as long as the download lasted. The Pluto station was unutilized for 10 minutes (luckily it was not video). I tried to use Ratpoison's escape sequence to trigger a command that would switch me to the previous window. However Ctrl-t was captured by Firefox (instead of Ratpoison) and I was geting a new window tab.

So the question is, what is the escape sequence for Ratpoison control in Pluto? How can I control my windows when in Pluto's Computing mode?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Ratpoison Window Manager
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:40:22 pm »
when you're in (computing) firefox you can use the sequence CTRL+w to close tabs.
or you can go to menu File> quit
we'll open firefox in a new orbiter screen, and not a new x window, the current solution that we have.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Thank you
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:40:41 pm »
Dan,

Thanks for responding fast to all my questions. It makes me feel confident that my time spent in learning and extending Pluto is a good investment.  :)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
This solves the problem
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 04:04:39 am »
I tested Ctrl-W and it certainly solves the problem. Now I close the download window, but the download continues in the background. I can open menu Tools/Downloads to see the progress.

However, is ther no way to use Ratpoison's window management options under Pluto? Were them disabled? I'm not used to this lack of control.